Hot Water in the heart

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

daffykyle
New User
New User

Hot Water in the heart

Post by daffykyle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi all,

Am new to the heart and have found I am having problems getting the hang of the hot water system. My girlfriend and I are struggling to have a bath each at night, even if we havent used any other water throughout the day.

Is there a knack to this or am i just to expect a substandard bath every night? :(

And yes, i have been using the on-peak power boost!!!

Any help would be massively appreciated. :)

Thanks,

David
arthur daley
Contributor Level 1
Contributor Level 1

Re: Hot Water in the heart

Post by arthur daley » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:04 pm

Hi there, we havent had any problems with the hot water. Normally have a hot shower each in the morning and if we do want the occasional bath at night the booster works fine.

How long is your heater on at night? You may need to change the timings? How long do you wait when you put the booster on? Now in winter it almost takes an hour to heat up and I dont think you can fill more than one bath with it.

Hope you can work it out!
TheSkyBoy

Post by TheSkyBoy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:33 am

Daffykyle did you have any luck with the hot water. I've just moved in and am a little confused about the system operates.

Which switches should you leave on. I find if I only have the hot water switch on it only heats at certain times. I guess somewhere around the economy 7 times. To get proper hot water I need the booster switch on too. Should this be left on all the time? I'm terrorfied I'll end up with a horrendous electricity bill.

Any advice, as always, appreciated.

tsb
TheSkyBoy

Post by TheSkyBoy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:46 pm

Thanks alpap, that's good to hear. :)
daffykyle
New User
New User

Post by daffykyle » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi!

I have sorted mine indeed. What i find is, leave both switches on at all times, if you then need a bath before off peak times press the power boost on the front of the boiler - it switches itself off i found so won't be too costly - hopefully!!
cadskn
New User
New User

Post by cadskn » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:59 am

Ah it's all very simple.. Been here since new/2007 so did all the handover's with the plumbers etc.

Make sure you keep the header tank topped up (grey plastic tank above the boiler)...not full tho or you will end up with water everywhere, just to the line, which is about halfway. There is access to the header tank via the wooden slats above, you will find a removable section of the wooden slats.

Don't turn the wall switches on and off, just leave them all on, and dont turn them off even if you go away for a 2 or 3 weeks....otherwise will take you a day or two to get hot water back.

If you need more hot water at any time just press the boost button on the boiler itself (remember to turn it off!). Of the two wall switches, the one light comes on late at night and early hours of the morning when it's heating water up using the cheap rate electricity. We have a cheap rate and a normal rate programmed into all the heart electric meters, which you will see reflected on your bill.

Hope it helps for future posts! Happy to help out if anyone has any questions.
micheelline
New User
New User

Post by micheelline » Sat May 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi all,

i have recently moved to Heart and just got my first electricity bill - for 3 months i will be paying over £280! Is that normal? i am hardly at home, only at the weekends and i live here alone. I have a feeling it might to do with my water heater - is it normal that the 'hot water booster' on the wall is always lit on? And then at the night when the cheap electricity starts the other button on the wall starts to shine, so both of them are lit on. does is mean my 'booster' is on all the time? I tried to press the button but it does not do anything - no light switches on or off?

Thank you for your replies

Michaela
David Rose
Contributor Level 1
Contributor Level 1

Post by David Rose » Sun May 22, 2011 8:59 am

£280 for three months electricity is extortionate.

I dont know about your control panel but something is certainly up - you need to have a play around with it at least. My gas / electricity lights are only on for a few minutes a day and my total gas and electricity bill for the last three months is £120.
alpap
Contributor Level 1
Contributor Level 1

Post by alpap » Tue May 24, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi Michaela,

The lights as you describe should be on all the time and only when cheaper electricity (at night) should the secondary light come on.

You might have a problem with the clock being off kilter and switch on too soon or too late thereby not getting the benefit of the cheaper electricity. Certainly what you are paying is way too high !! it should be about £130 per quarter for a two bed property.

Go to Tracey on reception and ask if the handy man can pop round to yours to set the clock (he has a special key) for you and see if everything is ok.

Best Wishes,
alpap