Soundproof?

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Rob

Soundproof?

Post by Rob » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:29 pm

Dear Heart residents...

Currently, I find myself desperate to move house, and one of my main concerns is how much you can hear(or preferably not) your neighbours in the heart! As I understand it, current laws are strict on soundproofing, but the proof is in the pudding! Can anyone give me a brief indication of how good the sound insulation is in the flats at the heart (from above, below and to the side). My main bug bear is impact sound. I'm a light sleeper, and wake up easy if I hear footsteps, doors/cupboards closing. Neighbours starting a power shower pump even wakes me up. I like a lie-in on a weekend, and an afternoon nap maybe on a Sunday, but can't currently do this! And I'm currently in a small 2 bed semi which is too much for me to maintain on my own and am considering all options, and would like to stay around walton. Thanks in advance for any insight or advice - you just don't get a feel for the level of noise by viewing a flat; it's only when you live there that you know what its like..
arthur daley
Contributor Level 1
Contributor Level 1

Re: Soundproof?

Post by arthur daley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:53 pm

Hello Rob

We live in a first floor flat in the Heart facing NZ Avenue, so can't comment on the 'below', but we definitely don't hear anything from next door or above (yet!). We do, however, have 'elderly' neighbours on all sides, so there is no loud music etc, but I have never heard anyone closing their cupboards! I have heard from other residents in the Heart that the soundproofing from above is not the best, especially when your upstairs neighbour has wooden flooring, but I think that insulation in general is pretty good. The best thing is that you don't need the heating on!
Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:42 am

Thanks for the tips.

Knowing my luck I'll have stomping elephants above me :twisted:

And looking at the current availability of the flats, the cheapest one on the top floor is just slightly out of my range. :(
ryanker
New User
New User

Post by ryanker » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:43 pm

maybe you should move to New Zealand!
mckenna

Post by mckenna » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:23 pm

Hi Rob,

Its not all that noisy, and you can't take all the advice by certain people off here, as they clearly don't have common sense, or any bit of humanity in them.

We are lucky and have no one above us, and our living room joins on to our neighbours living room, and we haven't heard a thing, when we moved in, i introduced myself to them, as i feel we have the music on too loud, and told them that if they can hear it to let us know, we hav'nt been told to turn it down (yet) and have a good relationship with them, our main bedroom does'nt join any other flats so we are very lucky on that side. We don't get noise from dwn stairs, and our main concern before we moved in was the traffic in the hallways, however still yet to hear neighbours in the hallways.

Before we decided on our flat, we studied the sales brochure and looked at all the floor plans to see what flat is joining what etc, if you need a copy of the sales brochure with all the floor plans let me know and i can forward it to you, its very useful!!!!

We moved from our old appartment because of noise, and we are more than pleased with The Heart.

We have very close friends that live on the 4th floor, who hear noise from above, but they very politely informed the residents, and have not heard a peep from them since, its all about how you speak to people and approach them, am sure if you had issues, they would be resolved, after all we are all in the building together.

There is plenty of bargains available if your looking to buy or rent, the prices on these when 1st released where over priced by far, there are so many of the same, with very slight variations, which makes them all the same, so i advise to offer on more than one at the same time to get the best price for you.

Only major thing, there are some people who live in the building really think they are something speacial, but if your like the majority of us in here and let it go over your head, then you will really enjoy living in The Heart.