Birdseye Building - SOLD FOR RESIDENTIAL

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Re: Birdseye Building - SOLD FOR RESIDENTIAL

Post by Christine E » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:50 pm

Statement received from Crest Nicholson this afternoon:
In response to the latest developments at Walton Court, a spokesperson from Crest Nicholson has said:

“Following the recent unlawful encampment and alleged criminal activity at the site, we have inspected the premises and confirm that the bird statue has been removed and its whereabouts are currently unknown. We are working with the local police as they investigate this alleged criminal damage and we thank the local community for their patience and support while we continue to deal with this incident.

The incursion resulted in significant damage to the building and its surrounds which we are addressing. As and when we have further information on the bird statue we will update the community. If the statue is not recovered we will be looking to discuss with the community how we can work to provide a fitting replacement which will reflect the history of the Birdseye legacy in Walton.”
John at Walton
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Post by John at Walton » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Christine, Many thanks for keeping us informed.
Waltonwatcher
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Post by Waltonwatcher » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks Christine. Good to see community people like yourself providing information to residents of Walton who care about their community.
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by Christine E » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Update:

I have advised I can have a meeting with Surrey Police to discuss the loss of the Grade II Listed Sculpture but as yet don't have a date.

The Planning application due to come to North Area Planning this week has been further delayed and also not have a date as yet.
webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:09 pm

Help Save the Grade II Listed former Birds Eye HQ in Surrey. Sign the petition by the 20th Century Society via Change.org

https://www.change.org/p/help-save-the- ... -in-surrey

EBC are currently considering the planning application now.
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:41 pm

I might be inclined to sign the petition if there were plans to do something with the building. At the moment it is a decaying eyesore so I see little point in leaving it as it is.
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:00 pm

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/new ... 38.article

'The heritage statement said: ‘The cladding has already been accepted as being beyond economic repair, while the only long-term solution for the concrete frame is to build an entirely new supporting structure, either removing the redundant concrete entirely or preserving this defective material in situ, to serve no obvious purpose.'

Cladding is failing and windows surrounded by asbestos. If the proposol gets refused the building will just sit there till the building fails. It would cost too much to bring that building up to a modern standard. Why spend millions doing this when you could rent elsewhere in a modern building.

Sounds like the whole building needs replacing.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:43 am

That's exactly the plan. They propose to demolish the whole thing and start again. However the design of the new building follows the same lines as the old building, so in that sense preserving at least some of the building's heritage.
The existing cladding is uusable,so they propose to create new but to a similar design.

Plans are here:

http://emaps.elmbridge.gov.uk/ebc_plann ... sTab.tmplt
Tim

Post by Tim » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:30 am

musicalteapot wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:43 am
However the design of the new building follows the same lines as the old building, so in that sense preserving at least some of the building's heritage.
Whilst I'm broadly in favour of this for sentimental reasons, logically I don't really see the point. If it's not the same building or a replica, then what's the significance. In two or three time, when the new building is replaced, will they then put constraints on that new build to be similar to Walton Court 2.0? Where will it end.

Surely, if the original is demolished, then the new design should be sympathetic to the surroundings (which, unfortunately, is a total mish-mash), rather than what was around in 1960.
There are two paths you can go by, but in the long run there's still time to change the road you're on
magnolia

Post by magnolia » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:49 am

Tim wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:30 am
Whilst I'm broadly in favour of this for sentimental reasons, logically I don't really see the point. If it's not the same building or a replica, then what's the significance. In two or three time, when the new building is replaced, will they then put constraints on that new build to be similar to Walton Court 2.0? Where will it end.

Surely, if the original is demolished, then the new design should be sympathetic to the surroundings (which, unfortunately, is a total mish-mash), rather than what was around in 1960.
Agreed. I think the replication is just paying lip service to the idea of preservation because of local sentiment and the listing.