Wellington Close aka Walton Flats

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Davros
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Wellington Close aka Walton Flats

Post by Davros » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:35 pm

Still waiting for some news on consensus regarding the flats refurbishment.

I was hoping for something following my cynical observations in March and 'Waltonwatchers' upbeat response forecasting agreement by August (This year :wink: )

Having correctly predicted the referendum result and feeling on a bit of a roll. Here is my latest prediction;

The council will compulsory purchase the site as more bits fall off the exterior. The whole lot will then be redeveloped for affordable housing :?
Waltonwatcher
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Re: Wellington Close aka Walton Flats

Post by Waltonwatcher » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:50 pm

Davros.

The tenders are expected around mid September 2016. Once they come in the project will move forward. Things are very close to happening.

Council couldn't afford to pay off 132 residents who all pretty much have 100+ year leases they have signed in last 5 or so years. This is private residential land. Were not talking retail estate here. I don't think the council are even thinking about a CPO for this site. They would have to buy out many residents at market rates. Residents would expect at least 250-300k+ pay off each as they mostly now have 125 years leases due to a change a few years back. Then the council would have to convince a developer to take on the land too.

In any case the council would need to prove that it is in the public interest to do so and that all other options have been considered. That could take years. If it was a case that they had reasonable tenders but were short on residents approval the council could force the work to go ahead on that basis? The residents have had recent surveys done that show the building is structurally sound. The cladding has lasted much longer than many expected. It won't fail over night.

Maybe some of the councillors could confirm if they are looking to redevelop parts of Walton? They have already done the Heart. They are struggling on Drakes park and Stompond lane. Why pick another fight with Wellington close?? Makes no sense.
Last edited by Waltonwatcher on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by Christine E » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:59 pm

Just speaking personally but I couldn't see Elmbridge Council getting involved this issue at Wellington House but Roy Green may know more. It's a private development as you say up to the homeowners how this progresses.

Regards other Walton development, over 100 homes were agreed recently at Rivernook Farm, off Terrace Road, nearly 300 at RES. Stompond Lane according to the new administration at July Council will go ahead at 52 homes. Esher Rugby Club told residents very recently they are interested in building on their land if some of that is released under the Green Belt review.
Davros

Post by Davros » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:01 pm

Hmmm, call me cynical again or despairing if you will but I'll believe it when I see it. So many false hopes over the years :cry:
Davros

Post by Davros » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:02 pm

Any movement on this yet, I haven’t seen anything in the press to indicate it will ever get off the ground?
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:18 pm

Should be some news in next week or so. I will post when I have something meaningful.
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:07 pm

Update on the cladding. A tribunal was heard about 2-3 weeks ago. The tribunal was covering all aspects of the cladding and roof work. It was looking at, if the building needed the work, were the costs reasonable and were all procedures covered properly. The tribunal would of looked at all the technical reports produced over the years and all the tenders. Plus any other statements provided by those objecting. The main objections seem to of been the cost of the work and if it was needed. Among other complaints.

The tribunal's decision on this matter was the cladding work was required and the works can proceed. They have not approved the roof work. It appears that the managing company may go back to the tribunal to question this as they suggest they have evidence that merely patching this up would not fix it long term.

Looks like they have most of the monies now and plan to instruct the contractor around 01/03/2018. Not sure when the work would start. My guess is in the Summer.

I will keep you posted on further updates but this may take a few weeks. Pends if anyone objects to the result of the tribunal. Should know by 1st of March if contractor has agreed to take on the work.
Davros

Post by Davros » Thu May 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Well another three months has quietly dripped past... still nothing.

Maybe I've missed something in the press :wink:
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Thu May 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Well they have the money. I think they are working on the contract and issues surrounding the major gas works due to start soon outside the flats. Once the gas work starts the cladding won't be far off. Hoping for a June/July start to the works. See what is announced in due course.

This project was never going to start straight after the tribunal. This is a £10m pound project that is far from simple.
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:18 pm

Got an update via email today. The important bits regarding the start of the works are below. So if all goes according to the below contractors for cladding on site on 6th August 2018. This is one cladding project that will be starting soon.

Contract wise.
'At present, the contract remains unsigned. Whilst we understand that all issues have now been resolved, we are waiting for Keegans to finalise paperwork and attach any addendums. We have been taking professional advice on the contract and this legal firm will provide a final review before passing to the WCMC for signing. The protocol is that the contractor will sign first; there will be two copies signed, one to be held by each party. '

Schedule of the work.
'It has now been resolved that the renewal of the gas risers will be carried out ahead of the cladding works, thus avoiding costly fees for Lakehouse to bring the Gas Installer in under their CDM regulations. This means that Southern Gas Networks will commence work on A Block during w/c 25 June completing by 20 August before moving on to B Block and then C Block. The Gas works should be completed for all blocks by end of November at the latest. The SGN Welfare Unit will be sited on the lawn to the left of the entrance drive.

Once SGN have completed A Block, Lakehouse will take over the Block and commence works; they anticipate being on site from week commencing 6th August to set up their Welfare Unit and stores which will be situated in the rear A Block car park; following this, work to the block will commence during the week of 20th August and should be completed by June 2019. '
Al D

Post by Al D » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:48 pm

Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:26 pm

Scaffolding for the gas works is going up right now! Cladding will follow once this block is done with the new gas fittings for each flat.

Looking on Rightmove there is not a single flat for sale on their website for Wellington Close. Be 6-24 months before we see what prices these will really go for.
Davros

Post by Davros » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Looking forward to some meaningful action on site next week
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:09 pm

Well they have just put planning in for confirmation of materials to be used. Decision date 02/10/2018. So they could easily be on site before that date.

2018/2089 - Wellington Close Walton-On-Thames Surrey

Seems to me this is very very close now.
Davros

Post by Davros » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Aw silly me, I must be the only person in Wot that thought we were past all that planning, application and decision stuff.

Doh!