Fort House Surgery - relocation to Walton Community Hospital

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

cumbrian lass
Veteran Contributor Level 2

Re: Fort House Surgery - relocation to Walton Community Hospital

Post by cumbrian lass » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:42 pm

Musical Teapot - I'm not familiar at all with that process. Grateful for enlightenment :D
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:55 am

Near as I have been able to find out, the CCG is entitled to apply to the CIL fund for funding to develop Health Infrastructure. Haven't been able to find any particular rules as to how that money then has to be spent.

The other interesting thing i was unable to unearth is that as GP Practices are effectively independent businesses, they do not use NHS Supply Chain, but can buy equipment from anywhere. Thus, for big equipment spends, they could go cap in hand to CCG and ask the CCG to help fund those items.

I presume this is why the CIL funding is now being used for equipment. So it seems the CCG are 100% funding the move, but they can use CIL money as part of that funding if they are granted it.
cumbrian lass

Post by cumbrian lass » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:19 am

Thank you MT :D
cumbrian lass

Post by cumbrian lass » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:43 am

Consultation update

The closing date for comments on the proposal is midnight on 30 September. The CCG had neglected to include this on their publicity material but, I am told, they have now included it on their website. The email address is:

contactus.nwsccg@nhs.net

Fort House patients are being notified of an on-line survey that will be available shortly and are being encouraged to support the proposal. I asked the CCG whether there are similar plans to enable all those with an interest to participate (not just FH patients). I have copied below the response i received yesterday from their Head of Engagement:

[I am finalising a survey that will be promoted amongst all stakeholders next week. We will be seeking feedback from local people in Walton regardless of which GP practice they are registered with. I have had a couple of technical problems with the survey platform, which I plan to resolve today/tomorrow morning and then it will be made available to all electronically; people can request hard copies to be sent to them using the contact details on the flyer and on the CCG’s website. A press release will be resent to local media this week to further share these details.

If you want to participate then I think you will need to keep checking the NWS CCG website for details if you are not a patient or on their stakeholder list.

If you do have a view I would encourage you to participate.

I have very real concerns. Not only because the temporary relocation of Weybridge GP services had a detrimental impact on residents in the vicinity of the hospital, but because of the knock-on effects of increased traffic, not only Rodney Road, but Sidney Road, which is an already very busy through road, in respect of congestion, pedestrians, particularly those with pushchairs or on mobility scooters, unable to use footpaths and being forced to walk in the road to get past parked cars, other road users (including school children on bicycles), the impact on the local bus service, refuse collection, deliveries and emergency services (which is what happened when Weybridge services were temporarily relocated). I am also concerned as to whether there will be any impact on the Thames Medical Hub which, among other valuable community services, provide enhanced frailty services for the elderly. When I asked about this, the CCG representative simply shrugged their shoulders. Not good enough.

It is worth pointing out, I think, that the proposed move is not a permanent one. Quite how long that piece of string is i don't know and the CCG would not commit on timescales when asked, but my impression from what they said was in the region of 3 to 5 years. The reason they have given for this is that Walton Community Hospital is not wholly suitable as it will not meet long-term health needs of Walton residents and another site will need to be found. To be honest, irrespective of my personal view, l think FH patients (current and future) deserve better than that. They need a permanent site that is easily accessible and has the scope to provide on site parking to at least the current number of those provided at the surgery, without displacing other service users, and a site that meets the needs of a growing population.

Many thanks.
Mandy
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:51 am

Whenever a CCG says something like "it's not permanent, probably only 3-5 years", it's likely to become permanent.
By the time 3-5 years have passed the people involved will have changed, and it will have been forgotten.
The only exception would be if they had a plan to build or purchase new property to develop.
cumbrian lass

Post by cumbrian lass » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:04 am

I get what you're saying MT, but when the Managing Director of the CCG, and their Head of Engagement both tell you that Walton Hospital is not suitable to meet long term health needs of Walton residents and is only a temporary measure alarm bells should ring.