Fort House Surgery - relocation to Walton Community Hospital

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

cumbrian lass
Veteran Contributor Level 2

Re: Fort House Surgery - relocation to Walton Community Hospital

Post by cumbrian lass » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:42 pm

Musical Teapot - I'm not familiar at all with that process. Grateful for enlightenment :D
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:55 am

Near as I have been able to find out, the CCG is entitled to apply to the CIL fund for funding to develop Health Infrastructure. Haven't been able to find any particular rules as to how that money then has to be spent.

The other interesting thing i was unable to unearth is that as GP Practices are effectively independent businesses, they do not use NHS Supply Chain, but can buy equipment from anywhere. Thus, for big equipment spends, they could go cap in hand to CCG and ask the CCG to help fund those items.

I presume this is why the CIL funding is now being used for equipment. So it seems the CCG are 100% funding the move, but they can use CIL money as part of that funding if they are granted it.
cumbrian lass

Post by cumbrian lass » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:19 am

Thank you MT :D
cumbrian lass

Post by cumbrian lass » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:43 am

Consultation update

The closing date for comments on the proposal is midnight on 30 September. The CCG had neglected to include this on their publicity material but, I am told, they have now included it on their website. The email address is:

contactus.nwsccg@nhs.net

Fort House patients are being notified of an on-line survey that will be available shortly and are being encouraged to support the proposal. I asked the CCG whether there are similar plans to enable all those with an interest to participate (not just FH patients). I have copied below the response i received yesterday from their Head of Engagement:

[I am finalising a survey that will be promoted amongst all stakeholders next week. We will be seeking feedback from local people in Walton regardless of which GP practice they are registered with. I have had a couple of technical problems with the survey platform, which I plan to resolve today/tomorrow morning and then it will be made available to all electronically; people can request hard copies to be sent to them using the contact details on the flyer and on the CCG’s website. A press release will be resent to local media this week to further share these details.

If you want to participate then I think you will need to keep checking the NWS CCG website for details if you are not a patient or on their stakeholder list.

If you do have a view I would encourage you to participate.

I have very real concerns. Not only because the temporary relocation of Weybridge GP services had a detrimental impact on residents in the vicinity of the hospital, but because of the knock-on effects of increased traffic, not only Rodney Road, but Sidney Road, which is an already very busy through road, in respect of congestion, pedestrians, particularly those with pushchairs or on mobility scooters, unable to use footpaths and being forced to walk in the road to get past parked cars, other road users (including school children on bicycles), the impact on the local bus service, refuse collection, deliveries and emergency services (which is what happened when Weybridge services were temporarily relocated). I am also concerned as to whether there will be any impact on the Thames Medical Hub which, among other valuable community services, provide enhanced frailty services for the elderly. When I asked about this, the CCG representative simply shrugged their shoulders. Not good enough.

It is worth pointing out, I think, that the proposed move is not a permanent one. Quite how long that piece of string is i don't know and the CCG would not commit on timescales when asked, but my impression from what they said was in the region of 3 to 5 years. The reason they have given for this is that Walton Community Hospital is not wholly suitable as it will not meet long-term health needs of Walton residents and another site will need to be found. To be honest, irrespective of my personal view, l think FH patients (current and future) deserve better than that. They need a permanent site that is easily accessible and has the scope to provide on site parking to at least the current number of those provided at the surgery, without displacing other service users, and a site that meets the needs of a growing population.

Many thanks.
Mandy
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:51 am

Whenever a CCG says something like "it's not permanent, probably only 3-5 years", it's likely to become permanent.
By the time 3-5 years have passed the people involved will have changed, and it will have been forgotten.
The only exception would be if they had a plan to build or purchase new property to develop.
cumbrian lass

Post by cumbrian lass » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:04 am

I get what you're saying MT, but when the Managing Director of the CCG, and their Head of Engagement both tell you that Walton Hospital is not suitable to meet long term health needs of Walton residents and is only a temporary measure alarm bells should ring.
King

Post by King » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:37 pm

Hello Cumbrian Lass (Mandy?).
I agree with Musical Teapot - it is highly unlikely that a new site for the practice will be found in the "3-5 years" temporary timeframe that has been indicated. As was the case at Stompond Lane, value of land for residential use will far outweigh what a GP Partnership is willing to pay.
Existing Forthouse patients will be glad to have their surgery move within a mile of the current premises.
There are a number of factors leading to a pressure on GP services:

1. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gp+partners+shortage

2. https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/population
The second link shows that in the last 10 years (from 2008 to 2018), the UK population has increased from 61.57 million to 66.19 million; an additional 4.6 million people. That equates to adding about 2000 ( yes, two thousand ) towns the size of Walton-on-Thames.

3. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... n/july2017
This shows that:
a. In 2016 the population of the UK was 65.6 million, its largest ever.
b. The UK population is projected to continue growing, reaching over 74 million by 2039.
c. The population in the UK is getting older with 18% aged 65 and over and 2.4% aged 85 and over.
d. In 2016 there were 285 people aged 65 and over for every 1,000 people aged 16 to 64 years (“traditional working age”).
e. Births are continuing to outnumber deaths and immigration continues to outnumber emigration, resulting in a growing population.

The message I take from all of this is that we have to learn to live with a shortage of GPs and count ourselves lucky if we can find a surgery in our neighbourhood, whether it is with or without adequate car parking spaces.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:50 am

This is the clever bit about Brexit .

Once the Medicine and food runs out and there are 50% fewer doctors and nurses, there will be a huge reduction in the elderly and vulnerable population, thus improving GP services as a concern before they are sold off as a job lot to the USA!
NWSurreyCCG
New User
New User

Post by NWSurreyCCG » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:27 pm

There is an opportunity to ask questions and find out more about the proposals at a public event tomorrow evening (26 September) at Riverhouse Barn Arts Centre, Manor Road, Walton-on-Thames, KT12 2PF from 7pm - 8.30pm. All welcome.

There are also answers to many frequently asked questions and a summary of the questions/comments from local residents made at our first public meeting available here http://www.nwsurreyccg.nhs.uk/get-invol ... relocation
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:21 pm

Thanks NWSurreyCCG.

There is an interesting point in your FAQs that Elmbridge mandate one car parking space per consulting room and the premises is compliant with that.
It does seem a little irrelevant, when the correct measure would be the number of car parking spaces needed per consulting room.
Presumably 2 is really the bare minimum, making the assumption that most of the time the GP will be with a patient, and have a further patient waiting.
cumbrian lass

Post by cumbrian lass » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:14 pm

Hi NWS CCG - when are you going to respond to questions asked 2 weeks ago, and an FOI submitted nearly 2 months ago. I ask publicly because despite several private reminders nothing is forthcoming.
King

Post by King » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:22 pm

Is your GP surgery at risk of closure? Map reveals where 2.5 MILLION patients could see their practice disappear 'because thousands of doctors are retiring early' - see here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... ppear.html
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:49 am

To save you clicking and soiling your computer...

The answer to all of those sort of questions raised by the Daily Mail is:

No
Lewy
Veteran Contributor Level 3
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Post by Lewy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:00 pm

musicalteapot wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:49 am
To save you clicking and soiling your computer...

The answer to all of those sort of questions raised by the Daily Mail is:

No
Which is the same answer to the more general question of "Should I bother reading the Daily Mail?".
John at Walton
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Post by John at Walton » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:17 pm

musicalteapot wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:50 am
This is the clever bit about Brexit .

Once the Medicine and food runs out and there are 50% fewer doctors and nurses, there will be a huge reduction in the elderly and vulnerable population, thus improving GP services as a concern before they are sold off as a job lot to the USA!
Not true of course and I assume you mean this in jest.
However, you make a good point about we will need MORE doctors and MORE consulting surgeries to cope with the huge influx SCC have inflicted on us through their changing numerous commercial premises to residential in Elmbridge!
With hardly any look at the impact this has on our infrastructure.
If WoT population increased by 5000 in say ten years (with ease at the rate we are going) then we need more doctors and consulting surgeries!
I do not think just expanding the Rodney Road surgeries will be enough!

In three or five years after this "temporary" situation we will be doing the same again consulting on new surgery changes when we would be expanding now!