Wellington Close aka Walton Flats

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Waltonwatcher
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Re: Wellington Close aka Walton Flats

Post by Waltonwatcher » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:52 am

The original planning approval said they needed to get the colours of the cladding approved. I do think planning can be rather long winded. Planning should be there to stop developers just ripping up housing and building huge tower blocks.

Woking has about 3-4 new tower blocks 15 or so storey high. It's becoming the new Croydon. I think minor follow ups to planning should be more fast tracked. I guess there is always someone who wants to debate military grey over ocean grey. That or the neighbour who just likes to moan about their neighbour.

The old Birdseye building for me had way too much debate. People clinging onto the past over a derelict building that had been out of use for 10 years.
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:45 pm

http://www.dbfacades.com/wellington-close/

For those that want more details on these works that started recently.
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:54 pm

Been looking at planning site. Looks like they added a decision document for the materials today. So last hurdle to the work going ahead now cleared. Been checking this daily as predicted decision date was 02/10/2018.

Contractor on site and lifts for outside of the building are pretty much in place. Won't be long now till the cladding starts on the first flat.

To get this far has truly been a mamouth effort.

Although until they start removing the old cladding I won't take anything for granted. Amazed the old cladding has lasted so long.
NoOne
Location: The Vine, Rubys, The Swan. And generally looking for the guys who hacked the forum....

Post by NoOne » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Are they removing the old cladding ?
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:40 pm

I don't believe they have removed any of the outer shell yet. They only just got planning permission for the parts. My understanding is they will gradually remove/replace the outer shell of the building working from top to bottom on a flat by flat basis. The windows are part of this shell so you can't simply remove it all in one go. Not sure these flats actually have cladding as such.

If you look at the contractor's website they talk about doing 2 flats first and allowing residents to see what the changes will look like. It will be 30+ weeks before they finish the first block according to their website. I think in next few weeks we will see exactly how they plan to replace the old cladding. Could do with an update from the managing company here.

Be interesting to see when they plan to do the roof works. Will it be first or left to end of works.
Davros

Post by Davros » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:21 pm

Well I just drove past and (I shall eat my words) some of the original cladding/fascia has been removed so it’s all going ahead!

Brilliant for the residents and the whole town.
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:09 am

I think they were just removing the balconies first. They need to order in the parts. They couldn't do this till we had planning. Work is definately going ahead and I think a contract has been signed. Exciting times really. A lot of hard work has gone into this.

These flats could easily go for 350k after the works. Some people were selling for 185k because they lacked the funds. Not saying other work isn't required on these flats but the cladding and the roofing were the 2 biggest issues. We go into this work knowing the cladding and insulation are 100% suitable given what happened at Grenfell. I still wonder what might have happened if this work happened 3-4 years back and suddenly we found the cladding and insulation had to be taken down. Timing has worked out well.
Davros

Post by Davros » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:39 pm

Interesting yellow coverings over all the windows in the first block.

Must make for an interesting ambience inside :wink:

I see some work taking place
mvp

Post by mvp » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:03 pm

There is a new planning application in for Wellington Close 2018/3338

They want to remove four windows per flat by the look, only reason given is good old "Health & Safety" - strange how this has never come up over the years with the numerous surveyors, builders, contractors, council planning all having approved the new design in 2017, and after they have started the job.

I guess cutting the window numbers by 4 x 108 flats is cheaper for the builder....
Last edited by mvp on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MVP
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:50 pm

The actual overall window size compared to previous plan is up 39% for the overall block. Yes there are fewer windows but this is compensated by wider and much taller windows. This will allow more light into each flat than the previous planning. All of this information was sent out to residents recently. I really doubt this was done to save cost given the increase in glazed windows here.

Yes lots of people have been involved in this complicated process. It's not been an easy 10 years for many. It's taken a lot of hard work by a few residents here to make sure this project stays on track.

If you look at the DB Facades link you can see work is progressing well and 39% of block A work is now complete. With 8% of the spur block work complete. Windows on the new outer shell to be installed soon. The council planning office has initially approved the new plans to allow work to continue. This new cladding will bring much needed insulation. double glazing, new roof and a brand new look to the buildings. Replacing a structure that had past it's original shelf life.
mvp

Post by mvp » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:27 am

The only reason for the removal of four windows per flat given in the planning application is "Health and Safety"

How can wider and taller windows be safer than three smaller windows?
MVP