Lidl Opens 28th Feb

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Davros
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Lidl Opens 28th Feb

Post by Davros » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:51 am

Not strictly a Walton issue but it’s on the doorstep and might effect shopper habits and retailers here.

Lidl opens on 28th February in Hersham. 8am it’s on the opposite side of the Barleymow roundabout from the VW dealer.

Will it fill the void created since Aldi were turfed out of Walton.

How many have been bothered to trudge over to Chertsey to get their Aldi fix since the closure.

Why haven’t I been invited to cut the ribbon? :wink:
Kernowshep
Contributor Level 1
Contributor Level 1

Re: Lidl Opens 28th Feb

Post by Kernowshep » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:06 pm

Parking chaos as expected. Will be interesting to see if / how often the Barley Mow roundabout gets blocked up.

Tasters of crisps, orange juice, croissants etc. on arrival.

Full shelves and none of the stock trolleys in the way.

Stocks a few things I like that Aldi in Burpham doesn't.

Loads of staff (obviously with the new store team in attendance, plenty of reminding the till staff to smile etc.).

All the tills open so little queuing once you've navigated the Hersham residents chatting in the aisles with virtually every conversion starting with "I haven't seen you in ages, how's x etc."

Will see how it is in a few weeks when it's settled down.
Davros

Post by Davros » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:43 pm

Well done for getting across the threshold. When we tried at about 11am we couldn’t get near the place. Traffic queues back to

Esher and the roundabout was solid. Came home, went to M&S
Kernowshep
Contributor Level 1
Contributor Level 1

Post by Kernowshep » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:51 pm

I checked out at about 10:30 which was much busier than when I arrived 30min or so earlier.

The other thing they weren't doing yet, is the till hokey cokey every time there is a spare foot of space on the conveyor belts or two people queued up off the end.
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:00 pm

Parking is my main issues with these places. Having passed the queues for the Guildford Aldi it kind of puts you off. How long do you queue to get into a car park? I guess you have to try and go in quiet periods. Nice thing about Walton Aldi was it was walking distance for locals. Also had some parking at the back.

I think it should still do well in Hersham. No real discount supermarket stores near Hersham. You have to trek 5 miles to find an Aldi. Chertsey/Feltham or Kingston.

Before for lidl you had to go to Chessington or Feltham. So 4-5 miles. (Why Feltham has so many discount stores I don't know. )

So Walton/Hersham seems to be the centre ground where these stores do not exist. You could almost draw a circle round the nearby stores.
Chris

Post by Chris » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:26 pm

Hopefully it was just the opening day traffic and excitment of a new store that everyone wanted to check out. Visited today and waited at least 15 mins to get a space. Car park could do with an attendant to jockey people into the free spaces as people seemed to wait and not be observant as to the people walking back to the car preparing to leave and moving forward.

Store was well stocked and presented, and there seemed to be quite a few manager types watching over. Loads of people gassing in and blocking the aisles.

Self checkouts, nobody seems to be using so if you are paying by card and have a handful of items head to these.

Shame they have softened their stance on packing at the bench at the end (and not at the till). I remember the days when it was a race to get your shopping to the till as fast as possible, and then you could pack at your own leisure at the bench near the window.
water
Contributor Level 3
Contributor Level 3

Post by water » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:04 am

I went around 3 , mistake all the mums with kids only took about 10 mins to get parked, did shop , 4 bags same as tesco last week but £35 cheeper definatly be back
Davros

Post by Davros » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:52 pm

Mrs Davros and I went for a look at 9.30 this morning.

Lovely big impressive store. Super on site bakery too.

Much prefer it to Samesburys. The prices too :wink:
Al D
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Post by Al D » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:25 pm

this will probably be good for customers as Sainsbury's has become quite complacent since Aldi left Walton IMO.

In the mornings and evenings they now regularly close off their main 6 self-service tills and only leave the remaining 4 open - regardless of how many people are actually in the shop / queueing
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:30 pm

Actually, that's to deter thieves apparently. They had too much alcohol heading out of the store via the self-service tills (people pretending to pay) so they close those off first and last thing as the set of 4 is easier to monitor and further from the door.
Davros

Post by Davros » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:21 pm

The absence of any real town on the door step it seems helps car park/customer rotation.

The old Aldi in Walton gave 1hour 45mins parking time which encouraged customers to wonder off for coffee or what ever around the town.
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:39 pm

The sales floor space of this store according to the old planning is 1689m2.
Vs Aldi planned sale area of 967m2.
For reference the Chertsey Aldi is 1140m2.

So new Lidl store is 74% bigger than the Aldi will be. That could be the big difference of where to do your weekly shop! The Chertsey store 17% bigger.
Al D

Post by Al D » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:52 pm

Went there on Friday and was very impressed. Almost as good as the old Aldi and nearly twice the size
mvp

Post by mvp » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Really nice shop and the prices are SO much lower than Sainsburys
MVP
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:46 pm

Size wise the Burpham Aldi is 1380m2.

Sainsburys are gradually introducing a lot of value products. They now do a 500gr pack of green grapes for £1.25. That is 75p below their usual grape price. They also stock value carrots now. Definately is money to be saved by shopping around. Poundland can sometimes be good value too. Sometmes the Heart is still worth looking in.