Birdseye Building - SOLD FOR RESIDENTIAL

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

TonyCee
New User
New User

Re: Birdseye Building - SOLD FOR RESIDENTIAL

Post by TonyCee » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:55 am

Thanks for this Christine, such a shame that the building has to be demolished. Also terrible that the search for the John McCarthy bronze has been abandondoned. Do you know if there's been any discussion about the future of the concrete pillars/monoliths in the inner courtyard? These were created by noted Surrey stonemason Alan Collins, who also carved the Runnymede memorial and parts of Guildford cathedral, it would be a shame if these were lost too.
Waltonwatcher
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Post by Waltonwatcher » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:43 pm

Seems good news. I know it has a lot of heritage but the site has been empty for years now. The building is in disrepair and needs knocking down. The new development will bring jobs to Walton which I am sure will be very welcome.
NoOne
Location: The Vine, Rubys, The Swan. And generally looking for the guys who hacked the forum....

Post by NoOne » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:56 pm

Why was there no interest in the suggestion of 6 x 24 level tower blocks ?
NoOne
Location: The Vine, Rubys, The Swan. And generally looking for the guys who hacked the forum....

Post by NoOne » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:05 pm

Its very clear who stole the bronze. Also shamefull to abandon the search for evidence. There was also a security guard present on site who was assulted at the time.
TonyCee wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:55 am
Thanks for this Christine, such a shame that the building has to be demolished. Also terrible that the search for the John McCarthy bronze has been abandondoned. Do you know if there's been any discussion about the future of the concrete pillars/monoliths in the inner courtyard? These were created by noted Surrey stonemason Alan Collins, who also carved the Runnymede memorial and parts of Guildford cathedral, it would be a shame if these were lost too.
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:35 pm

John at Walton wrote:
Tue May 03, 2016 4:33 pm
Interesting the development Allocation Plans (2013) say:-

Option A – Allocate for a change of use with the potential to deliver up to180 dwellings
Option B – Allocate for a change of use with the potential to deliver up to 150 dwellings
Option C – Allocate for a development of a hotel
Option D – Do not allocate (as existing)

I note the vendors already are trying to up this to 226 dwellings - far beyond what was agreed with the council!!
I could bet we get 500 dwelling by the time they are finished!!

http://consult.elmbridge.gov.uk/consult ... d=&voteid=
Now 375 homes - going up!! (at about 400,000 each equals £150m)
Green Property acquired it in 2006 for £25m that's a huge profit in just 12 years!
(minus the demolition and building costs etc)
chall5
Contributor Level 2
Contributor Level 2

Post by chall5 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:13 pm

is there any consideration given to all the demolition/construction traffic for years probably
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:58 am

Yes. It should either be factored into the planning decision or within the control of applicable laws around construction. As it is, the site has good access for construction traffic.
Projects of this size usually get done within 18 months. Obviously, once the Brexit deadline arrives the whole thing could collapse (lack of workers, materials etc).

You could have cited construction noise / traffic as grounds for objection if you chose to object.
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by Christine E » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Yes the unit numbers increased over time, it's now under the new ownership of Crest Nicholson/A2D, who I recall bought it for 20m.

The highways issues were covered in the officer report, and one of the counter arguments is the site having been empty for over 10 years people have got used to 'less traffic' so it isn't an increase, and rather than at commuter/office opening/closing hours, the traffic will be spread over the whole day/evening. I sort of get this ... but there's no doubt the Halfway is over capacity. SCC admit this freely.

Regards
the future of the concrete pillars/monoliths in the inner courtyard? These were created by noted Surrey stonemason Alan Collins, who also carved the Runnymede memorial and parts of Guildford cathedral, it would be a shame if these were lost too.
good point, we didn't go inside but I'll try to find out.
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by Christine E » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:23 pm

TonyCee wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:55 am
Crest Nicholson have replied saying they are hoping to re-use some of the menhirs (concrete pillars) as part of the landscaping but they won’t know for sure until they get onto site and better understand the feasibility of that exercise.
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by Christine E » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:55 pm

For info - yesterday this message was noticed on the Twitter feed of the 20th Century Society:
'We’ve asked the Secretary of State to call in decision by @ElmbridgeBC to allow demolition of the Grade II-listed Walton Court.

Razing this for new housing does not satisfy the strict listed-building demolition criteria. And would be wrong.’
Here are links to more information by them:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/C20Society

https://c20society.org.uk/news/c20-soci ... ton-court/

https://c20society.org.uk/botm/walton-c ... es-surrey/
Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:39 pm

My heart wants to see this building retained and maintained. I was born in Walton and bar, 17 years in Sunbury and Addlestone, have lived all of my life here. I worked at Birdseye/Birdseye Walls at Walton Court for 10 years (probably the most enjoyable 10 years of my working life) and my mother worked there for a similar amount of time, so I certainly have some emotional attachment to the place. The building itself is no doubt a good example of a certain style of architecture and building materials.

However, I am really struggling to see the benefit of keeping the building. How much does society really benefit from keeping an example of this type of building? We have photos and videos galore (and indeed it would be a simple task to create more academic videos if t were thought beneficial), presumably we have the architectural drawings and building plans. We know the construction methods and materials. If they don't already exist we can create digital models.

Is there really any benefit to keeping a building that cannot be used, which will have to be reinforced and/or have parts replaced in order to remain standing so it will no longer be the 1961 building?
There are two paths you can go by, but in the long run there's still time to change the road you're on
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:40 pm

No harm in delaying this I guess. I personally think the building has had it's day and would need to be rebuilt. So will remain derelict for a while if the government decides to look into this matter. Nothing quick ever happens in government.

What is worrying is the number of new builds that have limited options for parking. Offering cycle bays instead of parking. (Wishful thinking.) The plans for the WHsmiths/Boots site is one such case. Along with the Wellington pub that wanted to build 7-12 flats (Virtually no parking), M and S site too. Several other places on High Street converting office space into flats too. Noticed several new builds along Queens Road too which are in planning or already have approval but appear to be retirement homes with 20-30+ homes on each site. Including the old DVLA driving centre. Not forgetting the Grotto pub in Weybridge which offered no parking for 9-12 flats.

There are also issues in Addlestone of anti social behaviour because people who have bought new housing that has no parking are looking for residential areas over night to park. As more and more homes get built without parking I can see a much bigger issue here arising, Residents of existing flats have little power to stop other people parking in their bays unless the housing is gated. You can no longer clamp and the issuing of tickets by private firms rarely work as people will just bin and ignore them. They will rarely take you to court. IIn theory anyone can park on an uncontrolled street (No yellows or permit parking). Unless we move more to resident parking permits in many areas?

The council appears to expect people simply not to use cars. All very well moving to building hundreds of flats in empty retail/office space but in reality you still need 1 parking bay per flat. Apparently flats with parking bays now sell at a premium.

My opinion is great to see lots of new flats but eventually we will clog up parking on the existing road network. Walton already struggles with traffic. More parking options are needed for residents without parking or this situation will get much worse as more and more planning applications are approved. Afterall the council has already approved many builds without parking so new developments with use this in their planning. Meanwhile we will gradually see buildings rises from 3-4 storeys to 6-10 stories over time.
NoOne

Post by NoOne » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:02 pm

This is a listed building and was purchased as such.
The logical course of events would have been to re-purpose the structure as low density flats in a prime location.

What I dont like is the underhanded approach to purchase and then claim its not worth saving the listed building. If they made an error in their purchase then they should to sell at a loss to someone else who will appreciate the building for what it is and develop the site accordingly.
stevemc
Veteran Contributor Level 2
Veteran Contributor Level 2

Post by stevemc » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:08 pm

Buying a building that no one else wants, putting your plans out for public consultation and then submitting a planning application stating exactly what you plan to do and having pass through both the local committee and full council doesn’t strike me as massively underhand.

Also worth pointing out that many of those wanting the Secretary of State to call the application in would be the same ones screaming ‘affront to local democracy’ had the decision gone the other way and the developer appealed.
Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:08 pm

Waltonwatcher wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:40 pm
What is worrying is the number of new builds that have limited options for parking.... [etc]
Great stuff, well argued and worthy of discussion, but somewhat off-topic for (ablbeit related to) this thread, methinks.
There are two paths you can go by, but in the long run there's still time to change the road you're on