Birdseye Building - SOLD FOR RESIDENTIAL

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

magnolia
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Re: Birdseye Building - SOLD FOR RESIDENTIAL

Post by magnolia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:55 pm

The more I think about this the more it becomes clear that there was never any intention to preserve the building.

If the intention was residential development and it was known about the construction materials - which it was - then there are issues with the ability to mortgage & to obtain buildings insurance.

Result - difficult to sell the residential units and a lowering of price or even no sale.

The way this appears is that it was always the intention from the point of purchase or even earlier, to demolish.

I wonder what the Council will make of it?
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by Christine E » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:20 am

Can I just remind everyone if you are interested on this to make your views known.

This is about the potential demolition of Grade II Listed Building to create 375 units.

Comments are to be submitted by 5 May 2017
Waltonwatcher
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Post by Waltonwatcher » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:11 pm

Interestingly 10 people have objected to the new building but very few to the demoltion here.

It is quite an old building? Could it really be refurbished cost effectively?
henno330

Post by henno330 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:55 pm

What annoys me is that we keep closing down commercial property for housing. It means less jobs in the area which then means more people on the roads commuting, or people with no jobs means increase in crime etc etc.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey- ... 0-12883701

Why cant we get some.businesses in? Its right next to the station...surely walton is better than Tolworth as an investment opportunity
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:51 pm

To be fair Walton is a good commuter town. There will be jobs from the building of 375 flats. Parts, materials, labour etc.

They have just closed a large site in Byfleet in the industrial area. Could see that sold off to a supermarket or business? There is more demand for housing at present compared to business units. Many moving to Walton will be working in the city? Wealthy people are less likely to commit crime? The real danger to jobs is automation of equipment and business functions. You no longer need people on 30-40k to click buttons on a computer. Even share traders could be automated by computers.

Not against more housing. The question for me is, is 375 flats too much for the site??
Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:32 pm

henno330 wrote:What annoys me is that we keep closing down commercial property for housing. It means less jobs in the area which then means more people on the roads commuting, or people with no jobs means increase in crime etc etc.
On the other hand it's been on the market available as a commercial property for long enough already. If no-one wants it for a company headquarters or to let out as units to smaller comapnies, what should be done? Just leave it there to slowly deteriorate?

Whilst it may well be a good example of a certain architecture, it doesn't server any sensible purpose and is not being held as a museum piece. As a country we seem to have decided we need more and more homes in WoT and with its commuter links this would seem an ideal space.

And yes, I will be sad to see it go. My first full time employment was there - even got my 10 year long service award - and made many, many friends there, so it does hold a big place in my memories and in my heart. But it's a bit like when we needed more space and my wife decided that my vinyl LP collection (which was no longer played and never likely to be) had to go.
There are two paths you can go by, but in the long run there's still time to change the road you're on
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:02 am

Shame to lose a listed building but as the councils own report suggested they are unlikely to fill all empty business property to rent by 2026. Their is strong demand for housing. What do we do? Leave the building empty for longer? Lidl turned down the site recently. The problem is the building likely needs a lot of work to keep it useful. The question is are the building firm squeezing too many flats onto one site?? A previous suggestion was circa 225 flats. Now 375? Wow. Could they keep the existing bird liek structure?

We have similar problems with Wellington Close. It may be an iconic building but the cladding is failing. You can't simply pick parts of the curtain wall you like and replace it. You have to replace the whole curtain wall. At that point local residents seem to expect residents to pay 7-8k more to maintain it's current look? 85k per flat?? The reality is eventually the cladding will fail if no work is done. If residents can't arrange the work the flats will be left to fall into disrepair and a state where they will be uninhabital as the water ingress gets worse and the cladding falls apart over next 5-20 years. The upkeep of the current building is getting higher. Seems little point covering over the cracks here hoping it will go away. (It already had planning permission 3 years ago anyway.)

Same for the Birdseye building. It's been empty for how long now?? Probably suffers from abestos too. Sad to lose it but Walton has to move on here and the building is past it's best use now. Nearly 60 years old.
magnolia

Post by magnolia » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Update: Planning Application Submission

A planning application for the redevelopment of Walton Court has now been submitted to Elmbridge Borough Council, who will consider the proposals, and open a statutory period of consultation through which representations can be made by members of the local community.

Subsequent to the community consultation undertaken throughout 2016, the project team has worked hard to take on board the feedback received and to produce an application that offers the best use of a vacant site.

The planning application proposes the demolition of all existing buildings on site to deliver 375 residential units across market and affordable tenures, alongside commercial space, 375 parking spaces and retention of the bird sculpture and war memorial. The development of Walton Court will make best use of a vacant brownfield site, helping to alleviate the pressure on Green Belt elsewhere in the Borough of Elmbridge.

https://waltoncourtfuture.co.uk/

EXCEPT it's NOT a 'vacant site' but a site with a listed building on it!

EDIT

So much for the forty per cent social housing.
Will the development include affordable housing?
Yes. The proposals meet Elmbridge Borough Council’s policy requirement for the provision of affordable housing. However, the site is subject to vacant building credit, which subsequently lowers the policy requirement for affordable housing.
As such, it is proposed that 93 of the residential units will be allocated for affordable housing. A level that is compliant with Elmbridge Borough Council’s requirements when calculated using vacant building credit.
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:04 pm

Well down to the council for ignoring the professional moaners and moving ahead with some much needed housing on a derelict site which no one wanted to occupy.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:38 pm

magnolia wrote:EXCEPT it's NOT a 'vacant site' but a site with a listed building on it!
Back when I was a landlord I had endless problems from a semi-detached trying to rent a 1 bed apartment. It just couldn't let go of its old partner.
Then there was that terraced two bed that got endless complaints from the neighbours due to bringing back multiple partners to its studio flat.

A vacant site is one where no-one is working / living / renting. It can have a funfair, a circus tent and a 25 bedroom house as well as 13 office spaces. It is still vacant if no-one wants to use/rent/buy it.
magnolia

Post by magnolia » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:13 pm

musicalteapot wrote:
magnolia wrote:EXCEPT it's NOT a 'vacant site' but a site with a listed building on it!
Back when I was a landlord I had endless problems from a semi-detached trying to rent a 1 bed apartment. It just couldn't let go of its old partner.
Then there was that terraced two bed that got endless complaints from the neighbours due to bringing back multiple partners to its studio flat.

A vacant site is one where no-one is working / living / renting. It can have a funfair, a circus tent and a 25 bedroom house as well as 13 office spaces. It is still vacant if no-one wants to use/rent/buy it.
No idea what you are trying to say.

As it happens the building wasn't empty but let out.

It's also not a vacant site but one with a listed building on and it looks very much like CN have cynically manipulated information published to support the case for demolition.
stevemc
Veteran Contributor Level 2
Veteran Contributor Level 2

Post by stevemc » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:00 pm

Meanwhile, n the real world....

There is an unused office building on the site that has been on the market for around 10 years. In that time, thee would appear to have been just one potential buyer who walked away as soon as they saw what the construction was. The only let's have been short term for film sets or through 'Live in Guardians' to provide security. I'm going to hazard a guess that most reasonable people would accept that as falling under the definition of vacant.

Crest Nicholson bought the site and openly admit they did so for the purpose of residential development. Indeed, them being a house builder, it would have been quite amazing had they had any other purpose in mind. They then presented their plans to demolish in open publicly consultations and followed up in a detailed planning application, supported by expert opinion about the structural viability of the building (I believe the key one being that it likely has only 30 years of viable life left in it). I've no doubt they are seeking to maximise profit (and no doubt their shareholders would be quite upset if they weren't) but I'm struggling to see a cynical manipulation.

Perhaps, those wishing to maintain the building as it is should start fund raising to firm a charitable restoration fund because, here in the real world, it ain't going to happen any other way.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:32 pm

As Steve said. No cynical manipulation. No tenant in years. No use for the site. Hence application to redevelop a vacant site.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:24 pm

It seems to me that the building isn't the only thing around here that is permanently vacant.
colinmac

Post by colinmac » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:06 am

It will be an impressive sight when the traffic from the new Birds Eye development meets the traffic from the Stompond Lane development as it tries to get through the halfway