Our travelling cousins

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Cheek212
Veteran Contributor Level 2
Veteran Contributor Level 2

Our travelling cousins

Post by Cheek212 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:32 pm

I have just noticed that there appears to have been an invasion on the Misty's Field park by some of our travelling chums. Not sure how long they have been there but they are tucked away behind what used to be Walton Fencing, I guess so they can't be seen as the trees do a pretty good job of hiding them.

I was under the impression that this was private land, possibly owned by the Waterboard, and there are wooden stakes in the ground to stop vehicles accessing the site, but they appear to have squeezed between some.

I've never seen travellers on this field before in all the years of living locally so surprised that they have suddenly parked up on it.
Jonblue
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Re: Our travelling cousins

Post by Jonblue » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:48 pm

Shades of 'Play Misty for me' by the sound of things...
NoOne
Location: The Vine, Rubys, The Swan. And generally looking for the guys who hacked the forum....

Post by NoOne » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:07 pm

Some of our caravan dwelling pals have encamped in Hersham station car park. More still are encamped on a piece of green very near to the Barley Mow. You can observe the latter as you drive from the barley mow roundabout and head towards weybridge.

I had a knock at my door from a couple of our travelling cousins offering to give me a free roof survey last week. How kind. Definitely an asset to the community.
Katie P
Contributor Level 3
Contributor Level 3

Post by Katie P » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:43 pm

NoOne wrote:
I had a knock at my door from a couple of our travelling cousins offering to give me a free roof survey last week. How kind. Definitely an asset to the community.
Looking at the other thread re cold callers, may not be the travellers?
sewell01

Post by sewell01 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:06 am

I can confirm the ones at Mistys Field are the ones from Hersham Rec, moved on yesterday by the police after the council were awarded an eviction order.
WaltonResident100
New User
New User

Post by WaltonResident100 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:57 am

What happens with the travellers now? Are they free to stay there as long as they please?

Perhaps our local councillor can comment.

I live very, very close to this new site near Misty Fields and having lived a few minutes from a permanent travellers site for many years in the past I really don't want to re-live those days. As pleasant, clean, tidy and polite as they are of course ;-)
sewell01

Post by sewell01 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:30 am

Wherever they park up, the circle begins...
The council has to send someone to check they're OK etc, and supply them a bin.
The council then starts legal proceedings to get them removed, which normally takes a couple of weeks.
Once evicted, they will simply move on locally (normally) and the circle starts again...
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:54 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ommon.html

Are these the same travellers who broke into Walton Court!
(now 1st story on the front page of Mails website)
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:31 am

It depends on who owns the land. If it is private land they can be turfed off very quickly.
If it is common land, then it is more difficult.
Warren

Post by Warren » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:20 am

And then you have this little gem from our local police "force"

https://twitter.com/ElmbridgeBeat/statu ... 8016271367
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Unbelievable - Send this twit to the Daily Mail if they have not picked it up already!
They seemed to have done a better job than our police force at investigating these 'travellers'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -away.html
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:00 pm

Back on the front page again - they did pick this story up about the police and travellers!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -camp.html
magnolia

Post by magnolia » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:23 pm

It's in The Mail Online, online editions of The Mirror & The Sun.

An earlier story also in The Times.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:55 pm

Just to confirm -

What Steve said. No-one gets banned for mentioning people.
Making unsubstantiated, libelous, or slanderous allegations or ad hominem attacks however will get you put on the naughty step.

The point of this is to ensure that we have a discussion forum that is a polite and interesting place to discuss things.
"He said / She said / They said" is boring and pointless.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pm

Back on topic,

The thread has now been moderated. Personally I think the majority point of view is that if Travellers don't wish to be uprooted then

1) They are not travellers. Not being uprooted = not travelling. Pretty much a cast iron opposite.
2) If I want to stay somewhere with a caravan i have to go to a legal caravan parking facility. Not camp out on any bit of green land that takes my fancy. This applies to *every* citizen of the UK.
3) if the green land in question has barriers / bollards around it, that's kind of a cast iron indication that you can't camp out there.

The police have powers to remove illegal encampments, they can use them.

Travellers of course have a tradition, and way of life. However in my view whatever your way of life, we are all bound by the laws of the land. These numpties : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemen_on_the_land for example, believe that laws don't apply to them. i saw this article recently: https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... am-1857862. He believes the law does not apply to him. Unfortunately for him, his belief is not relevant to the law.

Of course many people are concerned about the Travellers, whether rightly or wrongly, due to the reputation they have gathered. Some will say that they don't tidy up after themselves and leave a huge mess. Some will say that crime goes up when they are in the area. All of those things of course, are prejudices, and technically we should judge each group on its own merits. However, when residents see the mess that was left on Waterside drive after the last big eviction, one can see how these prejudices become entrenched.

Bottom line however: Misty's field is not a campsite.