Exit Brexit

National/Global discussions etc

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Exit Brexit

Post by musicalteapot » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:54 pm

If anyone is minded to encourage our MP to crack on and drop Brexit, these guys have put together a helpful site:

https://www.exitbrexit.it
stevemc
Veteran Contributor Level 2

Re: Exit Brexit

Post by stevemc » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:41 pm

Link from here doesn’t seem to work bu5 can access it direct by typing it in a separate tab.

Sent mine though suspect I’d have as much success as I would sending it to next door’s cat
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:43 am

I agree. In fact next door's cat might be more receptive!
Waltonwatcher
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Post by Waltonwatcher » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:16 pm

Looks like vote might not even happen now. May knows she can't win the vote. This could also help avoid no confidence vote or a short term general election.

See what May has to say. Whatever happens this is still a poisoned chalice. Labour just want a general election. Others just want to topple May. Some may actually care about Brexit. It's clear the backstop is a no go!

Even if Tories had a new leader would all the rebels just fall into line? Many still want to remain in EU.
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:27 pm

I have no hope for this government's approach to Brexit (incl Labours non committal)-
This needs a peoples vote to overturn the mess! We must stay in Europe!

Most people voted leaving because they would do anything to vote against any policy that fool Cameron made!
They just wanted him gone - now the Tory's and the country are in a total mess!
Shields
New User
New User

Post by Shields » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:13 pm

I voted to stay in the EU and I still believe that we should have stayed but If we had another vote I will vote to leave, for several reasons, I believe in democracy and the democratic vote was to leave, I realise many people prefer dictatorship, and who knows if democracy fails what else can be got in or out in the future.
If we stay in the EU after all the trouble we have caused in the last couple of years who knows how the other member countries will react to anything we will say or want, they will punish us.
If we have another vote and it turns out 51/49 to leave what happens then and if it 51/49 to remain will we be having another vote as the leavers will not be happy.
I believe the deal we have got is a good deal except for the back stop, go with it as the EU will sort it out pretty quickly once the time comes as it is just as bad for Southern Ireland and the EU as it is for us.
Why should the EU give us good deals it is us wanting to leave, not them pushing us out. And who knows if they give us a good deal other member states may decide it would be good for them to leave for them also.
It has always been said referendums are a bad thing as a vast amount of people vote on things they know little about or what sounds good or change for change sake, after all that is what we pay politicians to do,
Lewy
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Post by Lewy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:31 pm

John at Walton wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:27 pm
Most people voted leaving because they would do anything to vote against any policy that fool Cameron made!
I so wish I had access to the thoughts of millions of people like you do!

Sadly I only know why I voted to remain.
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:35 pm

"I believe in democracy and the democratic vote was to leave"
The vote was so floored, few people knew what they were voting for (On battle-bus 365m per year to NHS - Project Fear etc!)
So many were voting against Cameron and not on Europe!
Your logic does not seem to add up - however each to their own!

Actual Vote:-
Only 37% of the country Voted to leave!
Only 35% of the country Voted to remain!

28% of the country could not be bothered to vote - that's democracy for you!

It is just a mess - I feel it is the only way forward to have another vote!
(I work for a European company so I will be wanting to stay!)
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:45 pm

That is quite a high percentage of people voting. At elections you could have less. There will always be 5-6% of people who don't want to vote. Plus those that simply don't know and choose not to vote.

Right now we have an impossible situation.
LIb Dem and SNP want no confidence vote, a further referendum or a GE(General election.). Which is understandable as this is their party policy. SNP want independence. Lib Dem want to differ their offerings compared to other parties.
Tories want to get more reassurances on the backstop. Albeit keeping everyone happy seems impossible.
Labour want the whole process renegotiated. Corbyn is still talking about a deal that is right for Britain. So it would seem Labour is unlikely to ask for a further vote on EU membership. Labour still want to leave? Even if there was a GE they could still be arguing to leave the EU.

I am not convinced a no confidence vote would work here if DUP are saying they would support the government. Government could well win that.

As for a leadership challenge from the conservatives in form of a no confidence vote, I think most are worried that she would win such a vote. Meaning she would be safe from another vote for a whole year. Maybe better to let her die on her own sword and resign.
Or we could remain in the EU. In which case why have a referendum in the first place? Still won't solve the issue as people could ask for a third vote in a few years time.

Does anyone really have a plan B here. Would the EU really talk to Corbyn if he did get in for another 1-2 years? I really don't see that happening. Betting websites suggest a hung parliament if we had a GE. How would that help?

Real danger here is if we have another referendum and people vote to leave again? Some polls have the difference as 2-3% between remain/leave. Maybe it should be kept simple. The governments agreement or to remain in the EU? I can't see the government doing this as they want to honour the original vote.
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Favourite comment from the Lords yesterday -
If PM May was to have a confidence vote today (11th Dec) the Government would have to resign in two weeks time if she lost.
As this is Christmas day is this the reason why she delayed the vote on Brexit so she can resign on a more suitable day!
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:21 pm

John at Walton wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:59 pm
Favourite comment from the Lords yesterday -
If PM May was to have a confidence vote today (11th Dec) the Government would have to resign in two weeks time if she lost.
As this is Christmas day is this the reason why she delayed the vote on Brexit so she can resign on a more suitable day!
Who made that comment John?
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:10 pm

On Parliament TV last night - I do not know his name or side of the house he's on.
stevemc

Post by stevemc » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:29 pm

Got my reply from Raab. Apparently, we have to leave because an overwhelming majority want it. I knew after his professed shock at discovering we were surrounded by see that he was rubbish at geography. Now know he’s pretty rubbish at maths too
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:47 pm

Got my reply from Raab. Apparently, we have to leave because an overwhelming majority want it.
A Majority is not 37%!!

At least today our MP gets to put an X on a voting slip
After saying he did not send a letter of no confidence in TM!
(we will never find out if he did or not send a letter as the letters will remain confidential)

Re-run the EU referendum just like a general election people can change their mind!
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:28 pm

That's an idea. Brexit has been so much fun we could have a referendum each year in case people have changed their mind!