Just been conned I think

National/Global discussions etc

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Shields

Just been conned I think

Post by Shields » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:13 pm

I've had a genuine looking sms from Morrisons asking for a short customer survey to be filled in, Saw no harm in that as they never asked for any banking, address or personal details. But it turned out to be from a marketing company named ModoAlerts who keep sending offers by sms and charging me £1.50 for each text I get, they did say to text stop to stop receiving these messages which I have done and also blocked there number, hopefully that will be the end of it.
I will call Morrisons and Surrey Trading Standards tomorrow and see if they know about this.
Waltonwatcher
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Re: Just been conned I think

Post by Waltonwatcher » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:42 pm

Yes likely a scam. Get your mobile operator to block premium numbers. Check payment has actually been taken. You may be able to get a refund. Which mobile firm are you with? Be careful what sites you visit on mobile.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Agree with Waltonwatcher.

Contact your provider and they will likely invetsigate it for you and make sure you aren't charged.
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:15 pm

http://modoalerts.com/GBR/privacy_statement.php

See the data Modoalerts collect about you - it is frightening!
Shields

Post by Shields » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Heads up on outcome.
I contacted Morrisons and they assured me that it was nothing to do with them.

I then contacted Modo Alerts and although I think the way that they do business is deplorable and should be banned, to be fair it was very easy to cancel the service and get a refund of all money taken from me, on a normal priced land-line number. Although I thought I was pretty good at spotting scams etc. it has made be to be more careful in future no matter how genuine emails seem to be.
Haller
New User
New User

Post by Haller » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:21 pm

Yup, they can get pretty advanced. Ashamed to say, but I nearly fell for a cryptocurrency scam not long ago. And I thought I was unscamable too. haha
VinceHarada
New User
New User

Post by VinceHarada » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:07 am

I received an odd text message last month about a betting odds service called Oddsio. I found it weird as I've certainly never signed up to anything like that but blocked the number and ignored it. Found out a few weeks ago I had been charged £2.50 for the pleasure.