Tory Leadership contest

National/Global discussions etc

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tory Leadership contest

Post by musicalteapot » Thu May 30, 2019 3:05 pm

So who do people think should be the new PM?

Current contenders:

Walking Oxymoron - James Cleverley
Walking buffoon - Boris Johnson
Walking rhyming slang - Jeremy Hunt
Et tu brutus - Michael Gove
Serial liar - Esther McVey
As a mother - Andrea Leadsome
Not a feminist - Dominic Raab
Failed app developer - Matt Hancock
Banker and xenophobe - Sajid Javid
Compromiser - Kit Malthouse
negotiator - Rory Stewart

Personally, Rory Stewart has impressed me the most. He has a clear understanding of why no deal would be disastrous, has a wealth of life experience and negotiating experience and might possibly be able to broker a cross party agreement on how to solve brexit. Kit Malthouse would be my second preference.
John at Walton
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Re: Tory Leadership contest

Post by John at Walton » Thu May 30, 2019 3:36 pm

So who do people think should be the new PM?
Not any Conservative, should be a General Election!

Last time 2017 - 32,204,124 voted

But this time only 100,000 probably more like 60,000 will vote to decide who our new PM will be!
(Tory HQ refuse to tell anyone how many members they have as their membership has fallen so much)
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:14 am

Latest polls show:
Lib Dem 24%
Brexit Party 22%
Tories 19%
Labour 19%

This was in Friday's times. So maybe some Euro election excitement still going on? An Election right now would likely provide a Labour minority government. Albeit I think anything could happen. I think Gove could do well. He is a smart guy and gives good speeches. Where Boris promises the world but never quite delivers. Crown Court case would be a distraction for him. Albeit I doubt it would get that far? I do hope most pull out after first round of voting. I guess more could still stand? Graham Brady?

Corbyn needs to go. More anti semitism chatter today. Someone previously suspended has been suspended again. This is someone on the NEC board who decide Labour policy. Sooner or later someone has to take responsibility here. If thios was a public company he would of resigned months ago. What is the Labour party's fascination with commenting on this topic? Schools, NHS, poverty. Actually I love talking about Israel let's focus on this instead. :roll: :roll:

2 major parties messing up. You wonder why Lib Dems and Brexit party have poll leads.

Main issue with Gove is he is middle ground. Can any of these 12 really put Brexit through house of Commons with the Tories and DUP support? Seems very unlikely. No way Labour would agree any deal without a vote which would most likely reject any deal. DUP just like voting down everything.
Lewy
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Post by Lewy » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:58 pm

I don't think there is any surprise why the Lib Dems and the Brexit Party have clear leads. Brexit is the key topic of the moment as far as the voters are concerned and both these parties are not divided by Brexit even though they have opposing views.

Whether the Brexit Party could actually win an election based on a single policy or whether the Lib Dems could win based on their lack of their government experience and their recent ill-fated coalition involvement is another matter of course. I tend to think an election now would make things even more confused if that is possible!
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:22 am

Personally I think that Rory Stewart might actually make a good job of the role.
He's presented the most cogent speeches so far, even giving a good explanation of why WTO rules are such a bad thing.
he seems bright, he speaks 10 languages and has considerable experience with negotiations.

Probably means he won't get it!

Hopefully gove won't get enough support. He's too backstabby.
Hunt has actually done a good job at the FO, but I don't see him getting enough support either.

Bookies are favouring Boris, Gove, Leadsom {shudder}
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:48 am

It seems to be a contest between those we haven't heard of and those we wish we hadn't heard of!
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:01 pm

"I think Gove could do well. He is a smart guy and gives good speeches"
Really - my views on this man are well known to this forum!

If Boris is found guilty, they have said that this is a test case and next will be Gove, Farage and Cameron in the dock!
Though, I doubt the court case will get that far as Boris can blame others such as Dominic Cummings that he was mis-led.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:01 pm

Not sure about that.

It's Boris that can easily be demonstrated to be deliberately lying and changing figures.
He's Trumpian in that he will happily say things that he hasn't researched, and if in doubt makes it up.

Gove is a politician but he does read his briefings.
Farage on the other hand...
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:35 pm

Have to wait and see how much crowd funding they do to take other politiicians to court. 200k will only go so far for this case. You can spend thousands on barristers alone. They did try a private prosecution for Blair over Iraq war? I think this failed due to fail due to Official Secrets act. Didn't stop them trying.

I do wonder why they have waited nearly 3 years to do this to Boris? Even so with solicitors this could take years. If Boris becomes PM they will have to further look at public interest. How big is this business person's wallet? 2-3 years of court process.

I wonder how many voted leave purely because of this 350m claim? I don't want to see common practise where members of public actively try to look for faults in promises for political gains. Then try to prosecute MP's.

How long before someone takes Labour to court over Anti semitism? With Twitter and other online activity I can only see more and more of these cases going through. It does feel like a bit of a cover up at times.

I remember the Lord Mcalpine case where people wrongly made allegations against him. Many people on Twitter were being threatened with court for false allegations. Many freely donating £25 to Childrens in Need to avoid going to court. So anyone who retweeted these 350m claims has also lied? Or is it just Boris as it was his initial claim? Of course this was a more general political claim. Hmmm.

This is the difference now in modern politics. Every claim/comment on Twitter/Facebook/TV or in Public could in theory end you up in court.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:04 am

Apparently the chap has spent some time working out if he has a case, and then some further time crowdfunding to get legal representation.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-05-29/who ... rcus-ball/
Mandy

Post by Mandy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:47 pm

Love MTs summary at the start of this topic. My husband, who is most definitely not Tory, likes Rory Stewart. Gove was very well liked by civil servants in all of the department's he's served in. As backstabbing as he was I'd prefer him to Boris. I just wish they would get rid of Corbyn and his cronies. Simply could not vote for them otherwise. Get one, get them all as the saying goes. Anyway, totally wrong time to have a general election. The crap that is Brexit is turmoil enough at the moment,
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:52 am

I think everyone who isn't Tory likes Rory. He's the only candidate that seems to enjoy using accuracy and that old fashioned concept of the truth. I particularly enjoyed when he was asked about his first video - "are you trying to make it look like you are holding the camera?" and he just said "yes". Can you imagine any other conservative politician doing that?

I think he has possibly a clever strategy. Pretty much all of the other candidates want to attract the most swivel eyed MPs, meaning that the ERG / Brexity Brexiter types are likely to be split between Gove, Boris, Hunt etc, whilst presumably all of the remain Tories will be potentially backing Rory.

The flip side of that is that we all though Cameron seemed like a safe pair of hands...
stevemc

Post by stevemc » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:54 pm

Seems like little Dom’s popularity only exists in his own head.....obscurity beckons