Walton historical question

National/Global discussions etc

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

SmilingStranger

Walton historical question

Post by SmilingStranger » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:38 am

I live in Hersham and recently found out that my Grandmother used to spend her holidays in the early 1900s in Walton on an 'island' in the Thames with an unrelated 'uncle' Ernie and and 'aunt' Minnie. I recently uncovered some photos of her holidays including this one taken in 1917 with Minnie on the left. I have identified the house name behind her as 'La Boheme' and the adjacent one as 'Portslade'. Further research shows that these houses were in Hurst Grove and that an Ernest Bacon was registered as living in La Boheme, 7 Hurst Grove in the 1930s. Hurst Grove today has only one side of houses and they are apparently not named but numbered evenly, with the odd numbers missing. I am assuming that one side of houses on Hurst Grove was demolished some time after the 1930s, possibly to make way for the burgeoning film studios or when Hepworth Way was built. I have also found out that there is currently a house called 'La Boheme' on  Wheatley's Ait; maybe the name was transferred to another property owned by the family when the house in Hurst Grove was demolished. If anyone can shed any light on any of the above I'd be most grateful.
sewell01
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Re: Walton historical question

Post by sewell01 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:51 am

No ideas, but this looks interesting...
http://www.sunburymatters.co.uk/article ... atleys-ait
SmilingStranger

Re: Walton historical question

Post by SmilingStranger » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks for the info, my grandmother's mother worked as a dresser in London theatres, so maybe some connection.