more retirement homes

National/Global discussions etc

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

RoseD
Veteran Contributor Level 1
Veteran Contributor Level 1

more retirement homes

Post by RoseD » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:05 am

Going up opposite the other new ones on churchfield rd now by McCarthy and stone
CllrAndrewKelly
Community Representative
Community Representative

Re: more retirement homes

Post by CllrAndrewKelly » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:23 am

RoseD wrote:Going up opposite the other new ones on churchfield rd now by McCarthy and stone
I've blogged about these proposals twice, so I've copied & pasted some of that below.

An exhibition was held on 31 January for a proposal by McCarthy & Stone for a new development on the land currently occupied by the Churchfield Industrial Estate in Churchfield Road. Leaflets advertising the exhibition were sent to around 1,000 homes and I’m told about 25 people attended.

McCarthy & Stone provide retirement accommodation and you have to be at least 70 to buy one of their apartments. They say the average age upon purchase is 83. This development would be an “Extra Care development with increased support and services for its residents”.

The proposal is for 54 flats in four linked blocks. There would be a mix of 1 and 2-bedroom flats “together with a range of communal facilities including a residents’ lounge, a full service restaurant with commercial-standard kitchen, a function room, a guest suite, a manager’s office, assisted bathroom and care facilities, staff suite, internal refuse room and mobility scooter store.”

The blocks would front on to Churchfield Road, Highfield Road and the back gardens of some houses in Winchester Road. Vehicular access would be via the existing site entrance off Churchfield Road. A total of 28 parking spaces would be provided.

You can view the full plans at www.elmbridge.gov.uk/planning – search using the reference number 2014/0488. You can submit comments to tplan@elmbridge.gov.uk – please quote the reference number and give your name and address. The deadline for comments is 4 April.
Jonblue
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Post by Jonblue » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:25 am

There is going to be an ever increasing need for this sort of development with people living much longer and as this is in such a good location the units should sell quickly. Walton is growing like topsy with no end in sight so I guess property prices will continue to escalate which is not good news for our young folk. I just wonder how long it will be before the council will have the imagination and courage to pedestrianize the High St providing a larger 'green area'' to try and give us all a breathing space of sorts and a break from saturation high density buildings and the inevitable insufferable traffic. Something has to give...
duncane

Post by duncane » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Well, you have a "lung" not far from the centre of Walton: Stompond Lane. Save it!
Jonblue

Post by Jonblue » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:01 pm

Sadly - it sounds as if the surgical procedure to remove this organ, one of the few left is more than likely to proceed. Step by step the net closes until the whole town eventually becomes one sprawling mass of brick/concrete and snarl of traffic -then the patient will die. However, we can still look up and see the sky -they cannot block that out surely. Our only hope is that the Walton Society get back to their old strength and fight to preserve what little we have left...
PaulH

Post by PaulH » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:47 pm

duncane wrote:Well, you have a "lung" not far from the centre of Walton: Stompond Lane. Save it!
That must be some crowbar you've got there to be able to squeeze a Stompond Lane moan into a thread about retirement homes.
:roll:
water
Contributor Level 3
Contributor Level 3

Post by water » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:55 pm

cracking effort duncane, :D but he's right, walton will become a concrete jungle, full of chavs and social housing , recently visited hong kong and its like a scene from Blade runner, but real. no green spaces anywhere, the grave yard was even high rise ( dont get any ideas riley) LOL

SAVE STOMPOND LAND and all Green spaces in Walton
Jonblue

Post by Jonblue » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:28 pm

That's a point ssshhh! They haven't touched our graveyards yet although I am sure Roy Green mentioned some graves in Hersham were moved elsewhere to accommodate some development or other.
Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:33 pm

water wrote: walton will become a concrete jungle
Stompond Lane (the area for redevelopment) IS mainly concrete. This idea that is a green space is fallacy. Apart from the pitch there is a strip around the outside and one or two small grassed areas. The rest is built on, cinder track, tennis courts or car park. The new plans at least allow for a larger contiguous piece of green space that is accessible to all.
water wrote:
full of chavs and social housing ,
Somehow I doubt it, unless some philanthropist has enough money to buy up Ashley Park, Burwood Park (OK Roy, I know that's Hersham) and just about everything else built before the 1960s and make a present of it to EBC or housing associations. And we need social housing. Not everyone can afford the prices of privately owned property in WOT. There is nothing wrong with social housing. Nor is there anything wrong with having a lowly paid job (indeed one might make a strong case that someone employed on a low wage deserves more praise than those who are amply rewarded). Some social housing attracts what we might call less desirable people, but there are plenty of less desirable people living in private accommodation.

Blimey! I'm going all lefty. Lady Stum will be proud of me ;)
There are two paths you can go by, but in the long run there's still time to change the road you're on
SL1

Post by SL1 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:03 pm

Tim wrote:
water wrote: walton will become a concrete jungle
Stompond Lane (the area for redevelopment) IS mainly concrete. This idea that is a green space is fallacy. Apart from the pitch there is a strip around the outside and one or two small grassed areas. The rest is built on, cinder track, tennis courts or car park. The new plans at least allow for a larger contiguous piece of green space that is accessible to all.
water wrote:
full of chavs and social housing ,
Somehow I doubt it, unless some philanthropist has enough money to buy up Ashley Park, Burwood Park (OK Roy, I know that's Hersham) and just about everything else built before the 1960s and make a present of it to EBC or housing associations. And we need social housing. Not everyone can afford the prices of privately owned property in WOT. There is nothing wrong with social housing. Nor is there anything wrong with having a lowly paid job (indeed one might make a strong case that someone employed on a low wage deserves more praise than those who are amply rewarded). Some social housing attracts what we might call less desirable people, but there are plenty of less desirable people living in private accommodation.

Blimey! I'm going all lefty. Lady Stum will be proud of me ;)
But you are making the mistake of letting the facts stand in the way of the argument.

Personally as someone in favour of the Waterside and Stompond Lane developments I welcome interventions such as those from duncane and water. They always argue the case for the changes so much better than anyone else! Anyone any idea who "riley" is?
Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:16 pm

SL1 wrote: But you are making the mistake of letting the facts stand in the way of the argument.
I'll never learn!
SL1 wrote: Anyone any idea who "riley" is?
I presume it's water's rather rude means of address for Cllr John O'Reilly - leader of the council.
There are two paths you can go by, but in the long run there's still time to change the road you're on
Jonblue

Post by Jonblue » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:44 pm

Perhaps related to Old Mother Riley -- but you may all be too young to remember her or rather him.. :wink:
stevemc
Veteran Contributor Level 2
Veteran Contributor Level 2

Post by stevemc » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:42 pm

water wrote:cracking effort duncane, :D but he's right, walton will become a concrete jungle, full of chavs and social housing , recently visited hong kong and its like a scene from Blade runner, but real. no green spaces anywhere, the grave yard was even high rise ( dont get any ideas riley) LOL

SAVE STOMPOND LAND and all Green spaces in Walton
Do you mean the 'high rise' cemeteries at Happy Valley? Right opposite the big green space that is the racecourse, 15 minutes by bus through the Aberdeen Tunnel to the greenery and beaches at Deep Water and Repulse Bays. Not to mention, HK Park, Victoria Park , Kowloon Park. A bit further out, Shek O, Sai Kung Peninsula and various other Country Parks :)
SL1

Post by SL1 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:36 pm

Tim wrote:
SL1 wrote:
Anyone any idea who "riley" is?
I presume it's water's rather rude means of address for Cllr John O'Reilly - leader of the council.
Ah I see. So the usual accuracy and attention to detail we come to expect from those against the development then!
SL1

Post by SL1 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:37 pm

Deleted post which duplicated itself for some reason!
Last edited by SL1 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.