more retirement homes

National/Global discussions etc

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

DrCheddar
Contributor Level 2
Contributor Level 2

Re: more retirement homes

Post by DrCheddar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:59 pm

I for one hopes that Walton will become a place with a mix of interesting mid and low rise buildings, old and modern... and that the transport infrastructure is actually invested in to support new projects like these retirement homes.
Only then can the town function properly within the London conurbation which it has become a part of.

High density developments should be encouraged but confined to Walton Central to relieve pressure on the outer areas of the town.
Jonblue
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Post by Jonblue » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:32 pm

I am actually surprised that so few 1930's or before homes have not been bought up by developers ( making an offer owners could not refuse) as these homes tend to have large gardens. Having said that, unless a lot of thought went into the design, Walton could become another Sutton or worse. If the Stompond Lane 'lung' is for amputation, I guess a few tasteful high rise flats would not look amiss set back from the road? It's going to happen sooner than later anyway with the on-going population explosion (and we have seen nothing yet) and equal misery may be the name of the game. Looking at the tennis court perhaps the developers have missed an opportunity for a giant 'Under the Dome' (TV series) style complex encompassing the whole of Walton with a mass of high rise buildings, restaurants, coffee shops, banks, building societies,estate agents, pubs with a gigantic underground car park limited to 1 car per household of course and be done with it. Perhaps a token gesture of green plastic turf. A living hell surrounded by a network of motorways but should keep many of the natives happy. Oh and paint it green of course as our contribution to the environment.... :wink:
keeping Stum

Post by keeping Stum » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:13 pm

water wrote:cracking effort duncane, :D but he's right, walton will become a concrete jungle, full of chavs and social housing
I hadn't realised Katie Hopkins was amongst us. Such insufferable snobbery :roll:

Oh and by the way, it's Sir John O to you sunshine :wink:
http://www.jeremyforlabour.com/
keeping Stum

Post by keeping Stum » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:23 pm

Tim wrote: Blimey! I'm going all lefty. Lady Stum will be proud of me ;)
She is indeed, its brought a tear to me eye Timothy :wink:
http://www.jeremyforlabour.com/
John O
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by John O » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:11 pm

keeping Stum wrote:
water wrote:cracking effort duncane, :D but he's right, walton will become a concrete jungle, full of chavs and social housing
I hadn't realised Katie Hopkins was amongst us. Such insufferable snobbery :roll:

Oh and by the way, it's Sir John O to you sunshine :wink:
As is her destiny, Lady S always walks on "water" :wink:
unite2

Post by unite2 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:29 pm

This is a bit off thread , but ---Theres no need for concrete jungles in Walton , but there is need for a more relaxed view of possible expansion. -
Wellington Close ( W C ) built 1962, is a model community in the centre of Walton . Three nine storey blocks housing 132 flats on a 2.5 acre site - Thats over 52 flats per acre, yet the site is nicely lawned and maintained and houses one parking space per flat in a mixture of underground and surface parking , so , unlike many other local residences , it causes no parking problems , and the council pockets rates in band D .
Even though W C is under the threat of a costly makeover, theres people anxious to buy these properties before the recladding , because its so obviously going to elevate them to the largest, most desirable two bedroom places in which to live in Walton. - I digress.- What I really mean to say is that the planners only have to insist upon high rise flats and underground car parking, whilst allowing for an ample green surround, like W C , to bring a touch of modern airyness to Waltons housing stock.
DrCheddar
Contributor Level 2
Contributor Level 2

Post by DrCheddar » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:32 pm

Jonblue wrote:Walton could become another Sutton or worse.
What's wrong with Sutton? It's a thriving town, with parks near the centre, a high standard of living, relatively low crime and transport links that Walton couldn't even dream of (rail and bus).
Plus, plenty of historical character in the town centre.
Jonblue

Post by Jonblue » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:32 pm

I agree about transport links and perhaps it was not the best of comparisons as it's sometime since I have visited!
Hersham Roy
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by Hersham Roy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:34 am

In 1960, they took the bodies out and reburied them in Burvale and then built the Esso Petrol Station in Hersham after pulling down the Old Round Chapel. the Planning Inspector took more notice of Esso than they did of the local council and local people, plus of course people who had relatives buried in there.

Nothing changes, an unelected Government official can overrule democratically elected local Councillors.
If the Tories in Westminster can sell the Graveyards, what is to say those in Elmbridge may not ?
Somehow I do not think that they would, as I tend to think that local Tories are more sensitive to local feelings. (Was that a compliment I just paid them, I must be getting mellow in my old age!) :mrgreen:
A smile a day can make the pain go away!
CllrAndrewKelly
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by CllrAndrewKelly » Wed May 28, 2014 2:08 pm

The application for 54 assisted living flats (in four linked buildings) on the Churchfield Road industrial estate site was refused by planning officers last Wednesday. The officers gave three reason, which I'll summarise: 1) cramped over-development of a 'prominent corner site' that would be 'unduly prominent' in relation to the surrounding area 2) a large first floor bay window serving a residents lounge would result in significant overlooking and loss of privacy to a property in Highfield Road and 3) the proposal would provide an inadequate living environment for future occupiers due to the location and limited areas of outdoor amenity space
unite2

Post by unite2 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:50 am

Theres no need for Walton to become a concrete jungle . The solution has been in Central Walt6on for some 50 years .Tower blocks.
Wellington close is a model community on a 2,5 acre site housing 132 flats , thats a concentration of over 50 families per acre and represents 5% of the central ward voters . It has parking for every residence , a portion of which is underground and it doesnt load the local kerbsides with parking . It looks after itself at no cost to the community yet pays a big part of the local taxes . The 3 towers are surrounded with greenery -privately maintained to a fairly high standard , yet few passers by see the green and only comment, -mostly adversely , on the structures, as an eyesore .
We need more such structures / communities if we are to enrich Walton and achieve "space to live".
TC15
Contributor Level 2
Contributor Level 2

Post by TC15 » Thu May 29, 2014 10:46 am

Theres no need for Walton to become a concrete jungle . The solution has been in Central Walt6on for some 50 years .Tower blocks.
Wellington close is a model community on a 2,5 acre site housing 132 flats , thats a concentration of over 50 families per acre and represents 5% of the central ward voters . It has parking for every residence , a portion of which is underground and it doesnt load the local kerbsides with parking . It looks after itself at no cost to the community yet pays a big part of the local taxes . The 3 towers are surrounded with greenery -privately maintained to a fairly high standard , yet few passers by see the green and only comment, -mostly adversely , on the structures, as an eyesore .
We need more such structures / communities if we are to enrich Walton and achieve "space to live".
I agree entirely , the answer is to provide underground carparking and go up to more than 2 storeys. As I have said before here, the model of the family home with garden and garage is no longer applicable to town planning.
There is LOADS of space in Walton, walk around for a few days, then compare this to the cramped central areas.

The parking is the issue, if that is got right then no one will object to more flats, don't forget as Chris Sadler informed the target is 225 new dwellings each year for the next 10 years. People will still use cars in 10 years time.
There is not room for 3000 more cars in Walton to park.

The ONLY way is up for living and down for parking.
Go then, there are other worlds than these.
unite2

Post by unite2 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:32 pm

Yeah - just imagine, the whole of Elmbridges housing committment for one year could consist of the equivalent of 5 tower blocks based on the 9 floor Wellington Close outline . A 4 acre site should provide over and underground parking and liberal amount of greenery.
Jonblue

Post by Jonblue » Thu May 29, 2014 2:38 pm

Would the Stompond Lane footprint be big enough to contain one of those tower blocks with underground car parking of course -- allowing us to retain the football ground? Added bonus for residents on top floor with free viewing of all matches! Swimming pool on roof with tropical garden and uninterrupted views over the surrounding neighbourhood? Surely a real asset to the town which nobody could possibly object to? Think big! :wink:
mvp

Post by mvp » Fri May 30, 2014 9:14 am

I would have thought the Birds Eye site would be perfect for some tower blocks.
Already a brownfield site, walking distance from shops and restaurants and right by a mainline railway station and bus stop.
This is the place that fits all of Elmbridges own planning guidelines....
MVP