Another day, another terrorist attack.

National/Global discussions etc

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

@DavidIons
Community Representative
Community Representative

Another day, another terrorist attack.

Post by @DavidIons » Tue May 23, 2017 9:01 am

Prayers and thoughts to all effected by the attack in Manchester.

Makes me angry that some people defend these terrorists and their communities.
Someone within their local community would have noticed a change in character, or heard of their plans but no one came forward.
This needs to change....
Tim
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Re: Another day, another terrorist attack.

Post by Tim » Tue May 23, 2017 7:07 pm

@DavidIons wrote:Prayers and thoughts to all effected by the attack in Manchester.

Makes me angry that some people defend these terrorists and their communities.
Someone within their local community would have noticed a change in character, or heard of their plans but no one came forward.
This needs to change....
The problem is we notice possible changes in character all the time. It doesn't mean that indicates a terrorist. A person's demeanour can change for any number of reasons and does so throughout life. How many times do we hear that a person's act of terrorism comes as a complete and utter shock to those closest to them?

I agree we do need to do more to encourage people who have suspicions to come forward though.
There are two paths you can go by, but in the long run there's still time to change the road you're on
magnolia

Post by magnolia » Wed May 24, 2017 7:47 pm

There are reports tonight, that his parents and friends reported him.
@DavidIons
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by @DavidIons » Wed May 24, 2017 8:30 pm

magnolia wrote:There are reports tonight, that his parents and friends reported him.
Reports also say his father claimed his son was innocent... Wouldn't any parent, whether they were aware or not?

Turns out both his brother and father along with several others have been arrested.
Many reports to choose. I believe our security services are exceptional (although they may be shackled by political correctness at times) and the truth should out.

Something radical needs to be done to deter terrorists. The U.K. has reduced the IRA threat. Now we need to stop IS, radical Islam..... 1 more child death will be 1 too many.
May sound a little Trump esk, but I would suggest imprison all UK nationals that are on the "watch list" and deport all non UK nationals on any watch list.

Surely that would encourage some to come forward and identify the radicals?

Currently there is no deterrent....
magnolia

Post by magnolia » Wed May 24, 2017 9:40 pm

Sounds like he was behaving very erratically and it seems it was his mother may have reported him.

I am a parent and would definitely not claim my child was innocent if I knew otherwise. I'm surprised you would.

Just because somebody is arrested doesn't mean they are guilty.

I certainly wouldn't want to live in a country where being on a state watch list meant I would be indefinitely imprisoned without trial.
magnolia

Post by magnolia » Wed May 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Peace in Ireland came through talking not via internment.
@DavidIons
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by @DavidIons » Thu May 25, 2017 11:18 am

Further reports advise that up to 5 people from his local community and extended family reported him as a risk. Possibly due to prioritising this chap slipped through the net. Looks as if lack of resource and/or government direction has played a part.
Since May was Home secretary it is reported there has been a reduction of 1300 armed officers alone, let alone cuts to community Policing and security services.
Lewy
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Post by Lewy » Thu May 25, 2017 1:56 pm

Probably best to try to retain some credibility and remain silent until the facts are known rather than to try to use this tragic event to score petty political points.

Just the opinion of one of the electorate of course.
@DavidIons
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by @DavidIons » Thu May 25, 2017 4:26 pm

Lewy wrote:Probably best to try to retain some credibility and remain silent until the facts are known rather than to try to use this tragic event to score petty political points.

Appreciate what you say Lewy but I can reassure you it was not for point scoring... Not the intention. OP progressed onto possible reasons why. Magnolia made a good point re: reports that local community reported the attacker as a risk. I responded by adding that I had heard reports of 5 different people reporting him.

Report and stat was on Radio..
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Thu May 25, 2017 8:35 pm

@DavidIons wrote:
Lewy wrote:Probably best to try to retain some credibility and remain silent until the facts are known rather than to try to use this tragic event to score petty political points.

Appreciate what you say Lewy but I can reassure you it was not for point scoring... Not the intention. OP progressed onto possible reasons why. Magnolia made a good point re: reports that local community reported the attacker as a risk. I responded by adding that I had heard reports of 5 different people reporting him.

Report and stat was on Radio..
And of course everything we hear on the radio is true isn't it?

I'll stick with my belief that it is better to wait for the true facts to be known before making links to things which may or may not be connected. Even if the election will be over by then.
keeping Stum

Post by keeping Stum » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:48 pm

@DavidIons wrote: I believe our security services are exceptional (although they may be shackled by political correctness at times) and the truth should out.
That would be British law David, they have to act within the law.
@DavidIons wrote:Something radical needs to be done to deter terrorists. The U.K. has reduced the IRA threat. Now we need to stop IS, radical Islam..... 1 more child death will be 1 too many.
May sound a little Trump esk, but I would suggest imprison all UK nationals that are on the "watch list" and deport all non UK nationals on any watch list.

Surely that would encourage some to come forward and identify the radicals?

Currently there is no deterrent....
In truth I don't know how best to encourage people to come forward or deter people from these sorts of atrocities. I think people need to work together, politically and in communities. I think all too often these people have totally disconnected with their own communities, the last thing we need is people turning and blaming each other.
http://www.jeremyforlabour.com/
Mark Zimmer
New User
New User

Post by Mark Zimmer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:26 am

Horrific attack. Most of the victims were youths.
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:58 pm

Mark Zimmer wrote:Horrific attack. Most of the victims were youths.
(Comment deleted as I now realise I was responding to a moron).