National/Global discussions etc

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

John at Walton
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Licence to Bike

Post by John at Walton » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:24 pm

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/4710727 ... -the-road/

Cyclists ‘should have number plates and take a test’ before being allowed on the road
Drivers think it's time cyclists got tougher regulations and harsher fines for bad riding.
A cycling test, number plates and even MOTs should be compulsory for riders according to a new report

CYCLISTS should have to wear number plates, get bikes MOT tested and be slapped with harsher fines for bad riding, according to a new report.
Drivers backed a crackdown on cyclists who break the law including better ways to track those who repeatedly offend.
The Sharing the Road report by Halfords revealed more than half of motorists want registration plates attached to push bikes.
This would allow them to be picked up by cameras and tracked to an address to be chased up for offences.
And 80 per cent of drivers said it was time police got tough on riders who ignore the Highway Code by speeding or jumping red lights.
And a third backed the introduction of a MOT to make sure bikes were serviced regularly.
Dodgy brakes and faulty tyres can also cause accidents on a bike - just like a car.
A proficiency test - similar to the driving exam - should also be required before cyclists are let on the road, according to the report.
And some Brits even said learner drivers should be able ride a bike before getting a car licence with learning to cycle forming part of the national curriculum.
The report also found the majority of drivers support harsher penalties for motorists who drive too closely to cyclists
And cyclists want drivers to use dipped headlights when they're approaching them so they're not blinded.

Karen Bellairs, chief customer officer at Halfords, said: “Our state-of-the-nation report on sharing the road suggests that there are tensions on both sides, amidst rising levels of traffic, and as driver and cyclist numbers rise.
"Reassuringly, however, when we delve into the statistics, it’s not so much an ‘us and them’ attitude that we find, but rather a ‘let’s work together’ mindset, with widespread support from motorists towards cyclists – and vice versa."
Benbow

Re: Licence to Bike

Post by Benbow » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:31 pm

I go out early in the morning, it can be dark and wet,, yet you still see cyclists dressed in all black clothing and no lights on the bike, making it very difficult to see them, I know who would come off worse in an accident.
I seem to remember some time ago that the newsagents were responsible for making sure the bikes were roadworthy and legal that the paper boys & girls used. I wonder if this is still the case and if so how many newsagents check these days.
stevemc
Veteran Contributor Level 2
Veteran Contributor Level 2

Post by stevemc » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:12 am

Hmmmmm, one or two logistical issues to sort out. Who will pay for the huge network of test centres and examiners? The IT systems needed to store all the ‘cycle licence’ details? Where will the MoT’s be carried out (Halfords presumably)? How do you comfort all those crying children on Christmas Day who can’t ride their new bike because the first test date isn’t until Feb? How do you come up with a number plate that is large enough to read but small enough to safely fit to a bike?

Still, it’s in the super soaraway Sh*trag so it must be a good idea
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:02 pm

How do you comfort all those crying children on Christmas Day who can’t ride their new bike because the first test date isn’t until Feb?
The same with a car - would you give your son/daughter a car at xmas without them passing a driving test!
They can still ride their bike on private roads, but not on public roads till a test has been passed!

How do you come up with a number plate that is large enough to read but small enough to safely fit to a bike?
Not necessary - you just need to chip the bike and helmet.
This would also stop many stolen bikes !

(The other thing they do not mention in this report is insurance!)
time
Contributor Level 3
Contributor Level 3

Post by time » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:29 pm

John at Walton wrote: (The other thing they do not mention in this report is insurance!)
Insurance is an interesting point, I suspect the majority of the more serious riders are members of British Cycling which includes 3rd party membership
Kernowshep
Contributor Level 1
Contributor Level 1

Post by Kernowshep » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:57 am

musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:03 am

I think this splits into parts.

Firstly there is the issue of children and public roads. Most children don't cycle on roads. When I was growing up I wasn't allowed to cycle on main roads until I had taken a cycling proficiency test.

Also my parents wouldn't have let me cycle in the dark without lights and a high Vis. That's the job of being a parent.

Secondly if children are educated about road safety, helmets, equipment etc then they are more likely to use them.

Now let's move on to adults. These tend to be either Mamils / mawils or commuters. Within both of those categories there are people who are incredibly stupid. In town there are definitely cycle police and I have seen a number of people cautioned for running red lights.

However I sort of agree with the idea of better being able to identify idiots. A license plate wouldn't work due to the many and varied shapes of bike. But we are in the 21st century. Perhaps some sort of low energy id device made mandatory for adult bicycles might be an idea. Education is probably the better approach however.

A good percentage of cyclists will have insurance for their bike if only to guard against theft. Maybe 3rd party damage is a natural extension for that.

However at the same time I think we need a license for smombies. They are more dangerous that the cyclists!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
time
Contributor Level 3
Contributor Level 3

Post by time » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:46 pm

musicalteapot wrote:I think this splits into parts.

Firstly there is the issue of children and public roads. Most children don't cycle on roads. When I was growing up I wasn't allowed to cycle on main roads until I had taken a cycling proficiency test.

Also my parents wouldn't have let me cycle in the dark without lights and a high Vis. That's the job of being a parent.

Secondly if children are educated about road safety, helmets, equipment etc then they are more likely to use them.

Now let's move on to adults. These tend to be either Mamils / mawils or commuters. Within both of those categories there are people who are incredibly stupid. In town there are definitely cycle police and I have seen a number of people cautioned for running red lights.

However I sort of agree with the idea of better being able to identify idiots. A license plate wouldn't work due to the many and varied shapes of bike. But we are in the 21st century. Perhaps some sort of low energy id device made mandatory for adult bicycles might be an idea. Education is probably the better approach however.

A good percentage of cyclists will have insurance for their bike if only to guard against theft. Maybe 3rd party damage is a natural extension for that.

However at the same time I think we need a license for smombies. They are more dangerous that the cyclists!!

While you make some valid points MTP your argument is somewhat undermined by your use of insulting language e.g. stupid and idiot.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:23 pm

time wrote:
While you make some valid points MTP your argument is somewhat undermined by your use of insulting language e.g. stupid and idiot.
Um neither of those is insulting unless applied to a specific person. Even then an evaluation must be made as to whether they are being idiotic or stupid.

Personally, my evaluation of the people I see running red lights into oncoming traffic or cycling between double decker busses is "idiot" or "potential Darwin award winner".

Perhaps you believe that these people are gifted with superfine reflexes or some such?

I am a cyclist. Unlike a car we have no airbags, side impact protection or padding.Stupidity on bike = death or severe injury.

time
Contributor Level 3
Contributor Level 3

Post by time » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:52 pm

musicalteapot wrote:
time wrote:
Um neither of those is insulting unless applied to a specific person. Even then an evaluation must be made as to whether they are being idiotic or stupid.

Personally, my evaluation of the people I see running red lights into oncoming traffic or cycling between double decker busses is "idiot" or "potential Darwin award winner".

Perhaps you believe that these people are gifted with superfine reflexes or some such?

I am a cyclist. Unlike a car we have no airbags, side impact protection or padding.Stupidity on bike = death or severe injury.

The term "reckless" would have landed better with me, the whole anti cyclist agenda appears to be fuelled by unnecessarily inflammatory language.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:31 pm

I'm not seeing this as an "anti-cycling" discussion. I also think we need to be less precious about use of language upsetting people.
I used the words that I chose, somewhat precisely.

As we increase the number of cyclists on the road (a good thing - I am one!) we do also need to develop processes for ensuring that those same people follow the rules of the road.
Most cyclists do follow the rules, but some don't and they need to be educated for both their safety and the safety of pedestrians. This is a problem that will grow unless it is addressed.
If one cyclist jumps a light, it tends to trigger movement by other cyclists who wouldn't normally proceed.
falkor
Veteran Contributor Level 3
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Post by falkor » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:10 am

ultimately it would need Police to enforce this

either PCSOs or PCs

we have never seen cuts to both on such a scale have we? PCSOs have seen cuts of over 50% and PCs have just been allowed to retire without being replaced, effectively cuts. so I am with stevemc who also outlined the infrastructure needs (that would need paying for first) , pipedream!! whether a good idea or not
beng_uk
Contributor Level 2
Contributor Level 2

Post by beng_uk » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:58 pm

While I would love to see some of this maybe a simpler approach would be a CBT for cyclists.
A CBT = a Compulsory Basic Training for motorbike riders that wish to get an L plate and most be completed before moving onto a full licence etc.
Now the CBT allowes you to ride a moped / 125cc motorbike for up to two years before having to redo the CBT or get a full licence.
But if you are caught being naughty you lose your CBT and have to redo it.

Now loss of CBT = more money to pay out and a day wasted retaking the "test".

Now do the same thing for Cyclists but their CBT lasts a life time unless caught being naughty. Most people can do this at school as most of us older folk did our cycling test at school and fun was had by all. Oh and cycle helmets should be the law.
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:46 pm

https://news.sky.com/story/drivers-coul ... p-11528398

Honestly, most car users look before opening a car door mainly for cars so that their door is not knocked off the car - at the same time obviously looking for cyclists!
This really is the world going mad for cyclists laws that are not required!
I note these are not EU laws - they will not have time to go thru our parliament for some time as MP's will not have time with all these Brexit debates.
They have more important things to debate than how to open a car door!!

I can see the police wasting time checking a driver has opened his car door correctly and facing the right way!!
If the police have not got time to log hate crimes I can not see them doing this!
(with the extension to ageism & misogyny, ageism and a loathing of men and woman as well as goths and punks)
https://news.sky.com/story/police-have- ... f-11528561

The police are not going to have time to log/prosecute drivers for opening their car door incorrectly!

Surely, their must be existing laws which would be sufficient like inconsiderate parking/driving.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:42 am

not sure I agree with you John that most drivers look. Passengers can also be an issue (particularly those in black cabs).
That said, any sensible cyclist will give cars parked a wide berth to avoid being doored.

My reading of the article is not that the Dutch reach will be "law" but that it will be included as good practice in the Highway code.
So there is no new law, just new inclusions in the highway code, such that if a motorist is found to be breaching the code they would be prosecuted under existing careless driver laws.
The code updates just add additional points that can be considered when deciding if an offence has been committed.

The priority clarification seems like a positive move to me, but then I'm the sort of person that says this is a nice thing to do anyway and it doesn't cost me much time.
I suspect that the idiots on the road will continue to drive like idiots - e.g. the Mini that cost frustrated with me on Ashley Park road and tried to overtake. I was only doing 32mph - apparently far too slow in a 30 zone for this moron.
Sadly for him his mini wasn't souped up enough to complete the overtake in time.