National/Global discussions etc

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

falkor
Veteran Contributor Level 3

too much time on social media is gradually rotting our minds

Post by falkor » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:13 pm

I came off Facebook in January this year

I disassociated my account which is putting it in 'suspended animation', I can go back at some time in the future or maybe never

have you come off facebook? are you a person who never went on it in the first place?

in 2004 Facebook started and I spent the next 4 years deliberately ignoring it and refusing to join as I saw it as something juvenile and not worth time

so 4 years went by and my missus and I were over at our son's place in North London, suddenly I became aware that some family photos were being shown in another room, I went in there and on a laptop the photos were on an album on Facebook, my missus then joined facebook to get the photos, then I followed , this is how a lot of people joined I think, anyway janet Street porter has some interesting musings on all this, is she right?
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: too much time on social media is gradually rotting our minds

Post by musicalteapot » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:36 pm

I've never really used it. I tend to use it as a convenient log in method, and to get updates from family and friends that do use it.
Twitter on the other hand I read a lot, and if you end up following the right people you can find out and see some interesting and wonderful stuff.
The difficulty is in ensuring that you are following accounts in a way that means you are not just in an echo chamber.
Twitter is also a go to resource for events happening now.
falkor

Post by falkor » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:04 pm

I agree but somehow seeing TRUMP use Twitter so much , to me is shocking, it is not the statesmanship we have come to see of US Presidents

can you imagine any other US president or in fact any European prime minister hitting twitter so often and so quick? having said that I believe he should get far more respect from the UK e.g. he is not visiting London because of the huge protests expected against him
Benbow

Post by Benbow » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:09 pm

I have never been on Facebook or Twitter or any other site like that, they do not interest me in the slightest, but I did meet my wife through a pen pal site, but I cannot remember what that was called now.
falkor

Post by falkor » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 pm

Teenage Pen Pal club? I was in that :D
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:38 am

Sorry Falkor. I think we need to stop according respect to fascist dictators. Trump is destroying his country and making the world a far more dangerous place.
I think the Trump Baby team have the right idea. He can't bear to be made fun of. Mel Brooks and other luminaries have shown that the bast thing to do with hate is to make fun of it.
If he had some balls he would visit London anyway.

He won't escape the protests however hard he tries.
Of course it may affect our ability to get a trading deal with the US. If only we were part of a much larger group of countries with real bargaining power... oh hang on...