More depressing than Brexit!

National/Global discussions etc

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Jonblue
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

More depressing than Brexit!

Post by Jonblue » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:55 am

I read that Boris is now the clear leader to replace May which is more depressing than Brexit and worse still shows the chronic lack of judgement by those who ‘rule’ us! Should this ghastly event happen, the break up of the Union I feel will be inevitable as he, like many others, could not care less what happens north of Westminster - only his own ambitions!
Lewy
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Re: More depressing than Brexit!

Post by Lewy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:52 pm

Jonblue wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:55 am
I read that Boris is now the clear leader to replace May which is more depressing than Brexit and worse still shows the chronic lack of judgement by those who ‘rule’ us! Should this ghastly event happen, the break up of the Union I feel will be inevitable as he, like many others, could not care less what happens north of Westminster - only his own ambitions!
An ambitious politician? Who would have thought it!
Jonblue

Post by Jonblue » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:20 pm

Point taken Lewy :) but they are not all irresponsible buffoons!
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Jonblue wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:20 pm
Point taken Lewy :) but they are not all irresponsible buffoons!
Agreed. Some are worse than that!
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:18 pm

The good news is that if the sharp knives do come out and he becomes PM, I'd have though there would have to be a General Election.
Now all we need is the knives to come out for Corbyn so that there is an actual opposition in parliament.

Who should lead the labour party? Lammy, Umunna, Khan, Cooper, Abbott, Burnham?
Jonblue

Post by Jonblue » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:33 pm

I seriously think there is a need for a new 'middle of the road' party as both Labour and the Tories appear to have lost the plot and have so many extreme divisions within their ranks. We used to have the Lib Dems as a fall back but sadly they are so wishy washy nowadays. I suspect I am not alone in wondering who on earth to vote for next election. North of the border the Scots have the SNP and a feisty leader who can more than hold her own with the supposedly bright clowns down here. The only Leader I can think of who has charisma and honest to goodness common sense is Ruth Davidson now expecting an addition to the family and I doubt she would be mad enough to be tempted down to Westminster. There's always the Monster Raving Loony Party I suppose...

Pointless discussion I guess as we all know that the Tories would vote for the proverbial monkey on a stick provided it wore a blue ribbon :)
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:02 pm

I think Labour has shifted to the left. All this poverty chat, doing the right thing, borrowing more to fund public services. There are some strong controlling elements in their core membership now which worries me.
Tories certainly have a brexit element in their ranks. They have edged more to the left too. Minimum wages. More money for NHS above and beyond what they promised at the election. Talk of higher taxes too.

Not a big fan of Boris. He did okay as London Major and people voted for him. He did not do so well as foreign secretary. Then again with a modern media you can't do anything these days without some sort of uproar over something. He resigned but has made no attempt for leadership yet. I suspect he even he is waiting for Brexit or for TM to mess up majorly.

I really don't mind May. Sure Brexit has been a bit of a shambles but that would of been the same whoever took charge. Least she has managed the debt and maintained employment. I guess those on benefits will not like her so much. Someone taking over before Brexit is a really bad idea. Not really heard Labour mention benefits in a long while now. Same for NHS now the government is putting more money in than they promised. That or the press mention it less.

I think Labour still have strong support in the polls. 40%? Just not sure what Corbyn would really do if he got in power. He is messing up this Antisemitism stuff. His view on Brexit has not really helped him. Afterall he wanted Brexit too.
Last edited by Waltonwatcher on Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:55 pm

musicalteapot wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:18 pm
The good news is that if the sharp knives do come out and he becomes PM, I'd have though there would have to be a General Election.
Now all we need is the knives to come out for Corbyn so that there is an actual opposition in parliament.

Who should lead the labour party? Lammy, Umunna, Khan, Cooper, Abbott, Burnham?
Lammy and Abbott are the Labour equivalent of Johnson, Laughably bad.

Chuka Umunna would be by far the most credible candidate if he would be prepared to stand but he wasn't the last time. Maybe he would if and when the Labour party finally realise Corbyn is too weak to be taken seriously.
Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:00 pm

musicalteapot wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:18 pm
Why? There is little in the way of precedent for this, certainly in recent times. Indeed I cannot remember a time when a change in leader of the governing party has caused a general election.
May***, Brown, Major, Callaghan - none called an election within months. And without any serious opposition (as you so rightly state) I doubut there's be much public pressure for it (other than the usual "we want change, but we don't know what we want to change to" brigade).

*** OK May did but not because she wanted proof the country backed her, but because she ill-advisedly expected an even bigger mandate.
There are two paths you can go by, but in the long run there's still time to change the road you're on
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:37 am

Yeah I can't see any election any time soon. If Labour really wanted to do that they would all be voting against Brexit. Reality is 5-6 Labour MPs are not following the party line.

Agreed May messed up when she called an election. She really badly misjudged things and the manifesto was poorly done by soem PR back office hack. She perhaps should of stated she wanted to raise public wages and put £££ into NHS at time. This would of got more votes. They are actually doing more now than they actually promised on some fronts.

The public always want blood even if they don't know why. Both Tories and Labour have been badly portrayed by a lot of the press lately. Labour will never be able to sack Corbyn. Most see him as best chance to get back in power. His control of the Labour membership makes any leadership bid pointless.

Really not sure another election is really going to help the UK. Might just cause more chaos.
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:41 am

If we did have a general election in the near future both major parties would probably be desperate to lose!
Espinoza
New User
New User

Post by Espinoza » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:50 pm

You're probably right, Lewy. This situation is one hot potato that probably no one can figure out how to juggle.