Birdseye Building - SOLD FOR RESIDENTIAL

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Re: Birdseye Building - SOLD FOR RESIDENTIAL

Post by Christine E » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:50 pm

Statement received from Crest Nicholson this afternoon:
In response to the latest developments at Walton Court, a spokesperson from Crest Nicholson has said:

“Following the recent unlawful encampment and alleged criminal activity at the site, we have inspected the premises and confirm that the bird statue has been removed and its whereabouts are currently unknown. We are working with the local police as they investigate this alleged criminal damage and we thank the local community for their patience and support while we continue to deal with this incident.

The incursion resulted in significant damage to the building and its surrounds which we are addressing. As and when we have further information on the bird statue we will update the community. If the statue is not recovered we will be looking to discuss with the community how we can work to provide a fitting replacement which will reflect the history of the Birdseye legacy in Walton.”
John at Walton
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Post by John at Walton » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Christine, Many thanks for keeping us informed.
Waltonwatcher
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Post by Waltonwatcher » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks Christine. Good to see community people like yourself providing information to residents of Walton who care about their community.
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by Christine E » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Update:

I have advised I can have a meeting with Surrey Police to discuss the loss of the Grade II Listed Sculpture but as yet don't have a date.

The Planning application due to come to North Area Planning this week has been further delayed and also not have a date as yet.
webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:09 pm

Help Save the Grade II Listed former Birds Eye HQ in Surrey. Sign the petition by the 20th Century Society via Change.org

https://www.change.org/p/help-save-the- ... -in-surrey

EBC are currently considering the planning application now.
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:41 pm

I might be inclined to sign the petition if there were plans to do something with the building. At the moment it is a decaying eyesore so I see little point in leaving it as it is.
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:00 pm

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/new ... 38.article

'The heritage statement said: ‘The cladding has already been accepted as being beyond economic repair, while the only long-term solution for the concrete frame is to build an entirely new supporting structure, either removing the redundant concrete entirely or preserving this defective material in situ, to serve no obvious purpose.'

Cladding is failing and windows surrounded by asbestos. If the proposol gets refused the building will just sit there till the building fails. It would cost too much to bring that building up to a modern standard. Why spend millions doing this when you could rent elsewhere in a modern building.

Sounds like the whole building needs replacing.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:43 am

That's exactly the plan. They propose to demolish the whole thing and start again. However the design of the new building follows the same lines as the old building, so in that sense preserving at least some of the building's heritage.
The existing cladding is uusable,so they propose to create new but to a similar design.

Plans are here:

http://emaps.elmbridge.gov.uk/ebc_plann ... sTab.tmplt
Tim

Post by Tim » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:30 am

musicalteapot wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:43 am
However the design of the new building follows the same lines as the old building, so in that sense preserving at least some of the building's heritage.
Whilst I'm broadly in favour of this for sentimental reasons, logically I don't really see the point. If it's not the same building or a replica, then what's the significance. In two or three time, when the new building is replaced, will they then put constraints on that new build to be similar to Walton Court 2.0? Where will it end.

Surely, if the original is demolished, then the new design should be sympathetic to the surroundings (which, unfortunately, is a total mish-mash), rather than what was around in 1960.
There are two paths you can go by, but in the long run there's still time to change the road you're on
magnolia

Post by magnolia » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:49 am

Tim wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:30 am
Whilst I'm broadly in favour of this for sentimental reasons, logically I don't really see the point. If it's not the same building or a replica, then what's the significance. In two or three time, when the new building is replaced, will they then put constraints on that new build to be similar to Walton Court 2.0? Where will it end.

Surely, if the original is demolished, then the new design should be sympathetic to the surroundings (which, unfortunately, is a total mish-mash), rather than what was around in 1960.
Agreed. I think the replication is just paying lip service to the idea of preservation because of local sentiment and the listing.
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by Christine E » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:47 pm

BirdsEye Building/Station Court (Planning Application numbers 2017/0928 & 2017/1084)

The Planning applications for the proposal to demolish the Grade II Listed ex- BirdsEye Building, known as Station Court are to come to the North Area Planning (NAP) Sub-Committee on Monday 16th July. The Planning Officer's report was published today and the recommendations are to Permit (subject to a Section 106 Agreement).

If you wish to attend the meeting starts at 7pm in the Council Chamber, Civic Offices, Esher and the public are welcome. The Agenda for NAP 16 July 2018 and the Officer reports are here: http://mygov.elmbridge.gov.uk/ieListDoc ... 2&MId=2852

This application qualifies for Public Speaking and only one person can speak. To register your interest to speak you need to telephone Elmbridge Council 01372 474474. You must do this at least 4 ½ working days prior to the meeting, i.e. by mid-day on the preceding Tuesday for a Monday evening meeting.

Link to public Speaking: http://www.elmbridge.gov.uk/planning/sp ... committee/

If this application is permitted by the North Area Planning Sub-Committee it will be also then be considered by the Planning Committee at a meeting to be arranged for Monday 30 July.
Davros

Post by Davros » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:24 pm

Short-termism..

Just demolish the whole town ‘n build a huge block of flats with a runway on top.

There, fixed :wink:
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by Christine E » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:33 pm

The Grade II Listed Station Court/ex BirdsEye Building in Walton will be demolished: Application to build 375 units permitted by 12 votes with 3 Abstentions. Application to demolish permitted 11 For, 2 Against, 2 Abstentions.
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:45 pm

Christine E wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:33 pm
The Grade II Listed Station Court/ex BirdsEye Building in Walton will be demolished: Application to build 375 units permitted by 12 votes with 3 Abstentions. Application to demolish permitted 11 For, 2 Against, 2 Abstentions.
Abstentions seem cowardly to me. Councillors are elected to make decisions not to sit on the fence.

Easy for me to say not hearing the proceedings of course.
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by Christine E » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:34 am

Yes I understand that, but sometimes abstaining is the only option. On this there were 2 applications, the first was essentially to decide on the case for change of use from employment to residential, and to build 275 units (99 affordable). The other application was to decide if the Grade II Listed building could be demolished. There were serious concerns about this and the applicant (and Council planning officer) has to make the case to do that. In this case the company submitted a financial viability assessment which they said showed that that they could not afford to retain/conserve the listed building due to the nature of the fabric of the building. The company (Crest Nicholson/A2D) had suggested (indicatively) that in order to conserve the shell and build out they would need to build in the region of 6 x 24 story tower blocks! (it's all in the planing officer's report online). Clearly that was never going to get permission, but they were suggesting that magnitude. I maintain they knew it was a listed building when they bought it.

When it came to North Area Planning committee (of 10 members), in both applications it was permitted it by 8 votes. 2 members abstained on both. I abstained along with Cllr Chris Sadler on the build and I abstained along with Cllr Alan Kopitko on the demolition. I can't speak for others but my reasons at that stage was while I was not against the change of use from an (empty for 10 years) listed building to residential, I would have preferred to see the building retained/conserved/renovated or at least the facade retained.

When it came to full Planning last night, my view had not changed much. The build was permitted by 12 votes For to 3 Abstentions. The demolition was permitted by 11 votes, with 2 Against and 2 Abstentions. I voted against demolition as did Cllr Andrew Davis and abstained on the build. My reason for that was clearly while I was not against building homes if I was voting to not allow demolition, if that was agreed, it couldn't be built. I could have voted for the build, but in any case there was never any doubt in my mind it was going to be an uphill struggle to stop demolition. It wasn't helped as Historic England, whilst having serious concerns, withdrew their formal objection, and effectively passed over the decision to Elmbridge Cllrs.

I think the positives we can take away is despite not saving the building, 375 homes will be built in a sustainable location with one parking space per unit, 99 of which will be affordable (70 affordable rent/29 intermediate housing - think that means shared ownership) and instead of it falling down before our eyes the site will be brought back into use again. There is talk of a public consultation on an art work to replace the lost Leaping Birds Sculpture (nothing will ever replace that in my view) - the Police made a statement I heard this morning when I was speaking to BBC Radio Surrey that 'they are no longer looking for it'. The Charles Sydney RAF Memorial will be relocated within the site and the company are working with the Friends of Charles Sydney RAF on this*.

Lastly we managed to get the committee to agree to relocating the aquatic wildlife in the moat and any other waters to a safe habitat. There are Smooth Newts and Carp. I and others were not happy with them being 'humanly destroyed'.

* It has just been agreed the memorial this year will be held on Sunday 30 September at 3pm.